why the change in factory tire size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why the change in factory tire size?

At some point Studebaker went from 7.10 to 6.70 (on Hawks anyway). Any one have a guess why? Just curious.Rich
    64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
    Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Originally posted by am not r2 View Post
    At some point Studebaker went from 7.10 to 6.70 (on Hawks anyway). Any one have a guess why? Just curious.Rich
    No need to guess, Rich: the tire size specified, at least back then, was based on what the engineers thought would be the gross vehicle weight of the car, loaded per the design parameters.

Today, darn near every make, year, and model of car has its own tire size due to fuel mileage and handling characteristics being thrown in the mix. That has to be one reason for today's exorbitant tire prices; with so many sizes, the economy of scale in making "X" number of tires for the replacement market is greatly reduced, as opposed to how many gazillion tires of a given size they could crank out back in the day when there were far fewer sizes to serve the replacement market. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I would bet it was 3 or 4 cents a tire cheaper.

Comment

With the Longer, Lower Look started by Chrysler in back in 1957, I would think the other Auto Makers were trying to catch up to that Fad and make them look Lower as Studebaker did in 1958 with smaller diameter 14 Inch Wheels and Tires, so that could be one reason.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by am not r2 View Post
          I really do not understand the premise of this question. For example; for 1957, the second year of Hawks, Silver Hawk 6 came with 6.40-15, Silver Hawk V8 came with 6.70.15 and Golden Hawk came with 7.10-15.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

For some reason, what I posted this morning did not show up as a new post or that I had made an entry on this topic.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yeah, BUT, don't all "Later Hawks" '59-'64 use the 6.70X15's? Maybe that's what is "Meant".
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wonder if one could order 7.10x15 if you wanted? Have seen a couple T-cab production orders where, instead of the standard 6.70x15, 7.10x15 was ordered and another that was ordered with 8.00x15 Firestone 500s...

Comment

Remember that the tire size designation changed at some point. IIRC, an early 6.70 was larger diameter than a later 7.10 or something like that. That's just before we got into letter sizes.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Yeah, BUT, don't all "Later Hawks" '59-'64 use the 6.70X15's? Maybe that's what is "Meant".
                    Only the Golden Hawks used the 7.10-15 and there were no Golden Hawks after 1958.
                    I think that the original poster may have, or have been referencing, a Golden Hawk with 7.10-15 and assumed that all earlier Hawks had 7.10-15, which was not the case.
                    Last edited by studegary; 08-27-2017, 06:26 AM. Reason: 7 to 8
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Only the Golden Hawks used the 7.10-15 and there were no Golden Hawks after 1957.
                      I think you know better than that!!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                        Wonder if one could order 7.10x15 if you wanted? Have seen a couple T-cab production orders where, instead of the standard 6.70x15, 7.10x15 was ordered and another that was ordered with 8.00x15 Firestone 500s...
                        Trucks are not analogous to cars in that trucks normally had many different operating equipment, as opposed to creature comfort, options.
                        For example, for 1957 there were no optional tire sizes for Hawks (just the three different standard sizes).
                        Last edited by studegary; 08-27-2017, 06:28 AM. Reason: removed extra s
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          I think you know better than that!!!

Craig
                          Of course I do. My excuse is that I was concentrating on 15 inch tires. The 1958 Golden Hawk had 14 inch standard and 15 inch optional.
                          1958 Hawks had a similar situation to 1957s, except a little more confused due to 14 inch and 15 inch. 1958 Silver Hawk 6 still had 6.40-15 standard and 7.50-14 optional at extra cost. 1958 Silver Hawk V8 had 7.50-14 standard and 6.70-15 optional at no extra cost. 1958 Golden Hawks had 8.00-14 standard and 7.10-15 optional at no extra cost. (1958 Packard Hawks had 8.00-14 standard and had no option.)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Back to Bob Palma's remarks about the proliferation of tire sizes: About 20 years ago my Aunt needed new tires for her car (don't recall which of her cars anymore, but it wasn't *THAT* old), and the guy at the tire shop said they had to order them in the next day. When she questioned why this could be, the guy said that the new cars don't use that size. To which my Aunt said: "New cars don't need tires!" The guy couldn't come up with a comeback to that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                              Back to Bob Palma's remarks about the proliferation of tire sizes: About 20 years ago my Aunt needed new tires for her car (don't recall which of her cars anymore, but it wasn't *THAT* old), and the guy at the tire shop said they had to order them in the next day. When she questioned why this could be, the guy said that the new cars don't use that size. To which my Aunt said: "New cars don't need tires!" The guy couldn't come up with a comeback to that one!
                              I don't know about "About 20 years ago...", but in the 1960s, when I bought new cars every year, the original equipment tires lasted about six months (15-20K miles).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X