PDA

View Full Version : What is this piece we got?

52-fan
08-24-2017, 07:53 PM
One of the things in the parts Joe bought in Springfield was this bracket. We think it is some kind of A/C bracket. Anybody know any details about this piece?

jclary
08-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Yes, that looks like a bracket for the York compressor along with an Idler pulley.

BobPalma
08-24-2017, 08:17 PM
:)What John said, Howard, but it is not a Studebaker-manufactured or furnished part.

Rather, it is typical of the compressor mount used by aftermarket air conditioner installers when fitting those compressors to 1960 and earlier Studebaker V8s for aftermarket air conditioning systems. Note that it will not work on 1961 and newer V8s because they don't have a 4-bolt water manifold outlet (i.e, thermostat) housing. :cool: BP

52-fan
08-24-2017, 09:36 PM
:)What John said, Howard, but it is not a Studebaker-manufactured or furnished part.

Rather, it is typical of the compressor mount used by aftermarket air conditioner installers when fitting those compressors to 1960 and earlier Studebaker V8s for aftermarket air conditioning systems. Note that it will not work on 1961 and newer V8s because they don't have a 4-bolt water manifold outlet (i.e, thermostat) housing. :cool: BP

We noted that it was for the earlier 4 bolt outlet. Is it still useful for a conversion or just junk?

DougHolverson
08-24-2017, 09:52 PM
I got a similar bracket in that stash I bought from Sioux City. I just haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

JoeHall
08-24-2017, 10:31 PM
We noted that it was for the earlier 4 bolt outlet. Is it still useful for a conversion or just junk?

Yes, it is very useful for a conversion. With a simple $40 adapter, you can set a Sanyo 508 compressor on it. Also, though it is designed for an earlier, 4-bolt thermostat housing it can be easily adapted to a later, 2-bolt housing. I do not personally care for that design, however, because it only has two mounting points. I prefer the type that include 3-4 points. However, it would be easy to add a third mount point, by running a piece of strap iron from one of the extra thermostat housing holes, over to the cover plate for the oil filler on the engine block.

DougHolverson
08-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Here are the two AC brackets that I got in the stash of Stude parts from Sioux City. One seems to be a variation on the first mount, seemingly a little easier to manufacture plus having that third mounting point. I wouldn't be surprised either way if the black one is or isn't even Studebaker.