PDA

View Full Version : 1958 2-door hardtop glass reproduction!

GTFan
08-23-2017, 07:22 PM
I'm re-posting this with the thought that the demand for this glass may have changed since I posted it a few years ago. BTW, we now have 47-51 business coupe back glass and 64-66 windshields. Here's the original post: I've had several requests recently for back windows for the 1958 2 door hardtop (not Hawks). After scouring the likely sources, it appears there are no NOS or repops to be found. If there is enough interest, I would undertake reproduction in clear and green glass. I know there are folks with broken out glass and badly scratched glass. I can't do this without firm commitments to purchase (payment in advance) and will need an original sample. The sample can be scratched. If someone out there is engaged in restoring one of these and can offer their glass as a pattern, you will receive one free of charge (pay shipping only) when they are finished. This is not a done deal until:
1. I have 30 committed sales
2. I have a sample to ship to the factory

Total process will take approx. 6 months. Sale price would be somewhere around $250-$400.

Please post to this thread with your questions and commitments.

Russ
Studebaker Glass & Rubber

StudeRich
08-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Yes those ARE VERY, very rare and impossible to find, also they are Large enough to be a pretty good "Target"!

These one off, ONE year, ONE body style glass have not been available for a VERY long time, just like the even rarer '61 Lark Cruiser ONLY Rear Glass, I could use a spare one of those. ;)

58L-J8 Guy
08-24-2017, 11:39 AM
I'm re-posting this with the thought that the demand for this glass may have changed since I posted it a few years ago. BTW, we now have 47-51 business coupe back glass and 64-66 windshields. Here's the original post: I've had several requests recently for back windows for the 1958 2 door hardtop (not Hawks). After scouring the likely sources, it appears there are no NOS or repops to be found. If there is enough interest, I would undertake reproduction in clear and green glass. I know there are folks with broken out glass and badly scratched glass. I can't do this without firm commitments to purchase (payment in advance) and will need an original sample. The sample can be scratched. If someone out there is engaged in restoring one of these and can offer their glass as a pattern, you will receive one free of charge (pay shipping only) when they are finished. This is not a done deal until:
1. I have 30 committed sales
2. I have a sample to ship to the factory

Total process will take approx. 6 months. Sale price would be somewhere around $250-$400.

Please post to this thread with your questions and commitments.

Russ
Studebaker Glass & Rubber
Russ, I am in for one of the green tint rear windows for the 58 " J " body cars, and maybe one for a spare. I have a badly scratched one, (not cracked or broken) to use as a pattern. Let me know if you get the 30 committments, and i can ship it to you.
Thanks for taking on this project,
Dave