PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: 61 Lark losing transmission fluid

GTHawk
08-23-2017, 07:01 PM
My '61 Lark VIII is losing transmission fluid. It doesn't seem to be leaking out on the ground. Does this car have a transmission modulator. It doesn't seem to shift into high right, either.
I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks.

RadioRoy
08-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Studebaker transmissions do not have vacuum modulators. If it is leaking, it's probably leaking at speed, which is why it's not leaving marks on the ground. The body of the transmission should be oily. Is there a spot where the oil is fresher or cleaner? How much is it leaking? Is it a powershift with water cooling?

altair
08-24-2017, 04:53 PM
I owned an 80s Ford that had vacuum modulator and the transmission fluid was being consumed through the diaphragm into the carburetor and being burned. There was no exhaust smoke. On a cool morning there was excessive steam from the exhaust, it would full the whole yard, however no smoke. Ones in a while there would be a blast of steam from the exhaust for a few seconds then disappear and every thing was normal. The parts man at the dealers tipped me off about the vacuum modulator. It was replaced in 5 minutes and all was well.

StudeRich
08-24-2017, 05:01 PM
How is your Fluid Level when checked running in DRIVE? If it is Low, the poor shifts WILL happen.
These V8 Flight-O-Matics start in 2nd. so should have only ONE shift if not started in "L" (Low).

RadioRoy
08-24-2017, 05:46 PM
I owned an 80s Ford that had vacuum modulator and the transmission fluid was being consumed through the diaphragm into the carburetor and being burned. There was no exhaust smoke. On a cool morning there was excessive steam from the exhaust, it would full the whole yard, however no smoke. Ones in a while there would be a blast of steam from the exhaust for a few seconds then disappear and every thing was normal. The parts man at the dealers tipped me off about the vacuum modulator. It was replaced in 5 minutes and all was well.

Yup. Same symptoms/cure with my 62 Chevrolet when I was a pup. But Studebaker automatics do not have vacuum modulators.

dynolou2
08-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Start by correctly checking your fluid level, it takes two people one inthe car with trans in D with foot on brake at idle speed, the other checks fluid. After a run 3 to 6 miles lay down some cardboard a 3' X 3' piece under trans and let car sit for at least 24 hours, you can look underneath car and see in what areas the leaks appear. The most common areas; pan gasket, front or rear seals,the governor access port in the extension housing,manual shaft seals. Lou Cote

T.J. lavallee
08-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Just wanted to add that the engine should be brought up to normal running temperature before checking the fluid level and the vehicle should be on level ground for an accurate reading.