May be correct engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May be correct engine?

I have located an engine that has an id of P73102. Says it came out of a 58 truck. It has a three speed w/overdrive. I have searched the data base and it has the 289 having a PC code. Is this engine a 289? It has a 4 barrel manifold and carb.
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

"P" stands for President 289, "C" = Canada.
    P73102 is not a Canadian PC, it's an 1960 Hawk 289!

Quote from our Chart:
    "P-70,501 1960 Hawk 60V
    2"
    The "Truck" mentioned had a CAR Engine.

Also, if you bought that one you would want to know if that "T-85" is a T-89 with Low Truck Gears in a "T-85 Case which is how ALL Trucks were.

OR, what Trans IS it, a light weight (Med. Duty) T-86, Long or Short Tail maybe??
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-23-2017, 11:18 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Went ahead and purchased the engine. They had video of it running. Pulled it for a LS1 engine. Has a four barrel Manifold and Carter carb. Short shaft three speed. Engine is complete with generator.
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

OK cool, now re-read Post #2 and read the raised Model Number on the forward, Right side of the Main Trans. Case to find out WHAT you got.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I will pick it up Friday and look then. Really only wanted the engine. I have a 51 Commander that I have the DG250 ready to go in and thought this would be a nice upgrade.

62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Looks like a T-86 3 speed Overdrive, you will probably find the Truck Clutch Housing has been drilled and tapped to fit the Bolt Pattern of the Car Trans. we now know the Engine is a '60 Hawk 289.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

yep nice upgrade.

Comment

Distributor is Delco window style

Comment

Picked up engine. It has a t86e-1a transmission. What does that tell me?
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

The pictures are cut off by the transmission output shaft. Is it a long tail shaft (58 and newer) or a short tail shaft (57 and older)?

Pull the top cover of the transmission. Are first gears straight cut or hypoid/angled/slanted?
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I in Post #3 you said it was a SHORT Tail Trans.

So IF you had a Car Clutch housing, it would be very close to a bolt-in to a '53 Commander, BUT you say you have a DG-250 Automatic, that would require a correct DG Converter Housing to be dialed in to the 289 Block and the Long Crankshaft to Flywheel Bolts be replaced with Short ones by pulling the Engine Oil Pan and Rear Main Bearing Cap.

But the bigger question is what Trans. is the CAR set up for?
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here are the pics of the transmission. I am looking to use the engine for my 51 Commander. The 51 has a 232 V8 and Automatic drive. I was thinking of placing the 289 in it and I have a DG250 transmission.

On an interesting side note this was the heater control valve setup on the 289. There were some ACE hardware special piping used.
                        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Don't discard that truck bellhousing, or transmission. Any fellow Studebaker owner wishing to install a V8 in a six cylinder C-Cab would appreciate the truck set-up. Especially, since it has the truck engine mounts attached.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                          X