Chrome breather caps for Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome breather caps for Studebakers

My 52 came to me with aluminum valve covers which had pipes attached for the oil breather caps. It also still has the filler neck which would have been stock on this 1960 engine. Unless I want to mount a filter somewhere else I need to keep the original pipe, but I am considering blocking it. Also the current breather caps have clips that hang down inside the pipes. The caps on the valve covers will contact the rockers if they are pushed all the way down. Does anyone know of a neat way to block the original fill pipe and a source for a nice looking chrome cap with the original style clips up inside the cap? I have found some really pricey ones on some street rod sites, but I don't really think my car needs the expensive polished aluminum ones.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I guess you could get a stock block off plate from a later Stude engine. SI sells a finned aluminum blockoff plate

Comment

There are many generic breather caps that will work on ebay; here's one:

I used these because I wanted to plunb them into a breather filter located in the air filter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Oil-F...item5b3651b4b2
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20170202_145242.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1716017
      Why does this site turn my pictures upside down!

A block off plate is easy to make. The stock one on my GT is just a 1/8" plate with 2 holes for bolts. Just trace around the gasket.
      Last edited by bensherb; 08-23-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Pardon me if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't the oil filter return connect to a fitting near the base of the oil fill tube? So, if you use a block off plate, wouldn't you install a fitting in the middle for the bypass style filter return line? Not a big deal...just trying to cover the bases.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I don't want a block-off plate at this time. I still need a place to mount the oil filter. One of the caps on the page you linked to might work. The lead picture does not show the bottom. I will look closer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Steel...75.c100623.m-1
          Last edited by 52-fan; 08-23-2017, 10:21 AM.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

It appears that the "Domed" Type are what you have, and also the first one recommended is the same with the clips extending too deep for your Custom Valve Covers.

You want the Flat Top Caps like the OEM repro. "R" Series Chrome ones sold by Stude Vendors.

It's YOUR choice of course, but if it were me, since you already have TWO Oil fillers, I would "clean up" the top, front of that Engine by using a stock '63-'64 block-off plate drilled and tapped for the return line and mount the Filter on the inner fender as John is recommending, very easy to do.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 08-23-2017, 10:53 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Remember to look inside of the caps you have/buy...
              If you get the SI caps, they are not REAL "breathers". There is no actual passage from the center of the cap to the outside.
              OR, some have passage, but it's only two "small" holes that do little to nothing as far as actual breathing.

A drill and or some grinding is required if you get the SI breathers.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                Remember to look inside of the caps you have/buy...
                If you get the SI caps, they are not REAL "breathers". There is no actual passage from the center of the cap to the outside.
                OR, some have passage, but it's only two "small" holes that do little to nothing as far as actual breathing.

A drill and or some grinding is required if you get the SI breathers. Mike
                I wonder who thought that was a good idea.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  I wonder who thought that was a good idea.
                  The FACTORY/Engineering did!

They are limited to limit the PCV Flow to create the "Draw" to pull the "fumes" and not a huge Vacuum leak.

They all "Breathe" none are sealed, except the Factory Late '64-'66 (from Canada) Calif./New York requirement/Spec. Nationwide mandated closed upper System Cars.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    The FACTORY/Engineering did!

They are limited to limit the PCV Flow to create the "Draw" to pull the "fumes" and not a huge Vacuum leak.

They all "Breathe" none are sealed, except the Factory Late '64-'66 (from Canada) Calif./New York requirement/Spec. Nationwide mandated closed upper System Cars.
                    Okay, that makes more sense. I thought maybe it was a "close enough" reproduction.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The original chrome caps that came on my R1 are the same as the painted ones that were original on my 61 lark V8. They both have the holes around the perimeter of the bottom, just 2 are chrome.

Comment

I still haven't found any after market caps with this type of clamp. I could buy the $30.00 ones from SI, but I really don't need the decals and I need 3 caps if I don't plug the oil fill pipe. The ones now on the car work, but they are a bit loose since I can't push them all the way down.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I just put on a chrome "Breather" I got from SI. I noticed it presses on all the way to the valve covers but I don't think the clips reach the rockers. These are alum finned STUDEBAKER valve covers. The old cap and other cap I have, have a ridge inside so they don't press on all the way and at that point are open to the breather element, a real breather.

I noticed exactly what Mike pointed out on these SI "Breathers. There are two very TINY holes (approx. 1/32 ea.) that are supposed to breath to the breather element. Probably so restrictive I'm imagining it is "breathing" around the base of the tube on the valve cover. I think Mike has a good idea to drill these SI breather holes out. Any one drilled them out?

Comment

I believe the tubes in the valve covers are only held in to the covers because of an interference fit? I don't think it should be too difficult, if done carefully, to push out and replace them with some of sufficient length to prevent any interference. Then you could keep the caps you have.

Mark
                            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Working...
                            X