WWII vehicle and equipment production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII vehicle and equipment production

This link provides interesting history on manufacturing during WWII including Studebaker. There are many locals residents who tell me they or their parent worked at Studebaker. During the war there were many people in NE Indiana who worked in South Bend or Fort Wayne.
    If you lived in Northern Indiana during WW2 you would see what Studebaker built during WW2. All the titles are web sites. You have likely known someone that worked at Studebaker. This web site is one to fully explore with all the companies listed.

www.usautoindustryworldwartwo.com

Last edited by Bob Bryant; 08-22-2017, 04:39 PM. Reason: Change of title
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

WOW! That very first photo is on the square in Bastogne! I was standing by that tank just about 4 weeks ago! Just to the right (not in the photo) is the cafe' "Le Nuts" Where I drank a bottle of "Airborne Beer" Google Airborne Beer, and read the story of Vinny Speranza, better yet, buy his book, NUTS good read for the WWII history buffs.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Bob, there's lots and lots of history on that page. Studebaker played a large role in both WWI and WWII. As you say a great read for a history buff.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

And the Civil War.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You want it in a nutshell? My Turning Wheels Almanac column Sept 1995.

Click image for larger version

Name:	summary.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1716018
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

What a terrific link, Bob. Thanks so much. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

How about the Stude made radial engines used on the B-17's or the Packard made R/R motors in the P.T. boats and P-51's? - Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                How about the Stude made radial engines used on the B-17's or the Packard made R/R motors in the P.T. boats and P-51's? - Jim
                Believe my post #5 above covered most of that. Packard was not a part of Studebaker at that time so did not include specifics on their contribution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lot full copy labeled copy 2.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1716019 Click image for larger version

Name:	WWII B-17 color  labeled.jpg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1716020Click image for larger version

Name:	WWII B-17 engines labeled.jpg
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1716021Click image for larger version

Name:	WWII weasel.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1716022
                Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 08-23-2017, 08:10 PM.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post

The Packard marine engines for the PT Boats were a completely different engines from the Rolls-Royce Merlins for aircraft. The marine engines were a Packard design.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                  X