Packard Hawk Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Details

I am refinishing a Packard Hawk that has been in my family for over 50 years. It still has under 60,000 original miles, is very solid with almost no rust, and runs well. I have a few questions as I finish it off.
    Questions:
    (1) where the fiberglass nose meets the metal fenders, was there originally some sort of welt or molding?
    (2) Paint code is P5839 White Gold. It is white with a gold roof. Are the colors Parchment White and White Gold Metallic?
    (3) What is the paint code color of the interior trim pieces? It is tan in color, lighter than the seats.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Here is a PPG Color Chart:

These Color Charts are courtesy of the Bob's Studebaker Page Website Linked to our Studebaker Drivers Club Main Page/Resources:

There are copies of Engineering Interior Color Documents available for a fee on File at the Studebaker National Museum.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-21-2017, 09:02 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The fibreglass nose doesn't have any welts to seal against the fender as such. It slides into the recess that has been modified onto a C & K front fender and around the curvature of the fender. They are a good fit, you can sand the edge to get them better before painting.
      My car was also a two owner car so everything was in good condition, I matched my paint to inside the windscreen frame when I pulled the glass to get the colour as accurate as possible.
      Brian Greenall
      Melbourne, OZ
      sigpic

Comment

I saw an all solid white gold Packard Hawk at the 75 international in Irving. It was fantastic. I would think that the color code would also list the Parchment code if it was painted that originally. You will most likely have to remove an interior garnish molding and have it scanned to get a close color match. Perhaps the mirror base, as sunlight doesn't shine upwards and fade as bad as the lower part of the dash. The only welting is between the trunk and the overlay. None on the nose. It's a good idea to paint the nose from the fender section seperated, so if there is any previous chaffing on the fender you can cover it. (after of course you correct the interference.) Then when you slide the nose section onto the fender curve, put a little clear silicone UNDER the overlap so it can NOT be seen. It will make the joint less likely to flex, and break the paint.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you all. I couldn't find this particular two color code on the charts, but I have since found it on the Packard Club site. It does seem to be a popular color combination. I am thinking like you, Brad, with respect to the fiberglass front end. I think it will split at the paint line because the glass and metal have different expansion coefficients and the parts are likely to shift. The old paint split there, and my dad had it covered with a thin tape.

Do any other 1958 Packard owners have trouble with the paint at the joint?

Comment

I am curious if you know where I can find the interior colors. Very little of the painted areas are visable but I am trying to decide if the peachy color is just faded tan (like what was under the mylar) or if it was actually the original color. We are in the final stages of restoring a Packard Hawk that has been in the family for 40 to 50 years and I need those colors.

Comment

Working...
            X