Windshield and back light stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield and back light stainless

I'm toying with the idea of not putting the stainless moldings around the windshield and rear glass on Buttercup.
    I've seen this done before but all I've seen is the original rubber gaskets without the stainless. That leaves a big ole ugly slot in the gasket.
    Do any of you know of a gasket, without the slot, that will work on these windows?
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

There was no stainless moldings on the cheaper models. Is that rubber reproduced?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      There was no stainless moldings on the cheaper models. Is that rubber reproduced?
      I've never seen a '53-61 C or K without windshield and back glass stainless. The Regals have wide and the Delux' have narrow. '53's through '55's are all I know. Others may be different.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

How about using the trim but having it black anodized?
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Contact JV Enterprises and talk to Vince Borzillieri. He makes it. Located in Azuza, CA Phone 1-626-815-8600. Check out his web site and look for the bronze and gold 53 to see what it looks like. I saw it up close and will be using it on the Thunder Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
            Contact JV Enterprises and talk to Vince Borzillieri. He makes it. Located in Azuza, CA Phone 1-626-815-8600. Check out his web site and look for the bronze and gold 53 to see what it looks like. I saw it up close and will be using it on the Thunder Hawk.
            Thanks Dan. I'll give him a call next week.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I have no strong opinion regardless of whether you install the stainless or have it without. Either way, that car will draw attention. One thing I do know, is that if there is any ding, flaw, or hint of the stainless not seating properly in the gasket...it will stick out like a sore thumb. So my opinion is to have "perfect stainless & installation," or none at all.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                I have no strong opinion regardless of whether you install the stainless or have it without. Either way, that car will draw attention. One thing I do know, is that if there is any ding, flaw, or hint of the stainless not seating properly in the gasket...it will stick out like a sore thumb. So my opinion is to have "perfect stainless & installation," or none at all.
                That's why I'm thinking about installing the windows without the stainless. Nothing on my cars is perfect.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Many of the vehicles from a decade or so ago have similar gasket installations but have a black cord that is pushed into the slot. This tightens the rubber to promote a seal, especially prevalent in the back windows of pickup trucks. If you don't find a gasket sans slot, perhaps procure a length of similar black rubber cord.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    ... Nothing on my cars is perfect.
                    Mine too! That's what prompted my post.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Many of the vehicles from a decade or so ago have similar gasket installations but have a black cord that is pushed into the slot. This tightens the rubber to promote a seal, especially prevalent in the back windows of pickup trucks. If you don't find a gasket sans slot, perhaps procure a length of similar black rubber cord.

I have had cars w/o the surrounds, but I never paid any attention to the differences in the gaskets. Do it this way and I think that you will find a ready market for the stainless surrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                        I talked to Vince today and asked about the rubber. He said he could get it. I asked if it was formed to fit around the tight curves, he said "no, it's just straight rubber windshield gasket".
                        Back to square one.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Jerry, I would guess all of the rubber gasket material is straight. You might want to try and buy some of Vince's material and work with by hand forming it around your glass using heat and masking tape to hold it in place. Let it cure in place for a while and then see what you got.
                          ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

What Ed said. The seals you get from the Stude guys for a C/K is a single extrusion with the ends vulcanized together. No moulded corners.

I remember seeing a car that had a black plastic T-strip slipped into the groove that the stainless would fit into. It didn't look terrible.

Comment

Found the windshield gasket that I needed. Got it from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Window-lockin...7VJC6MRFZ&th=1
                              Thirty feet, enough to do the windshield and the back glass.

Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Working...
                              X