PDA

View Full Version : '55 color combo that should have been?

S2Deluxe
08-18-2017, 02:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zWoOVDx.jpg?2

I've long believed that Studebaker should have offered a Black and Red two tone color scheme in '55! Seeing the fresh coat of black on your coupe, Jerry, with the red on the front wheels, reminded me of this. In my opinion, such a paint scheme on a Speedster, with red leather and carpeting in the interior, would have been even more stunning than the Lemon Lime combination! I live with an excruciating sense of disappointment, because I believe I've never seen one done this way. Surely there are others, out there, with similar feelings or am I wrong?

Mark

Lou Van Anne
08-18-2017, 02:52 PM
They did...my uncle had a 55 President 2dr sedan (c/k)....so sexy!

S2Deluxe
08-18-2017, 03:46 PM
They did...my uncle had a 55 President 2dr sedan (c/k)....so sexy!

I'd love to see a picture, if anyone has one they can post??

Mark

StudeRich
08-18-2017, 03:55 PM
I've long believed that Studebaker should have offered a Black and Red two tone color scheme in '55!/Cut/Mark

So Hey, just BUILD ONE! :cool:

However Lou's Uncle's 2 Door Sedan (CK) can't happen, it had to be one or the other. :rolleyes: "F", "C" or "K"?

S2Deluxe
08-18-2017, 06:11 PM

However Lou's Uncle's 2 Door Sedan (CK) can't happen, it had to be one or the other. :rolleyes: "F", "C" or "K"?

That's much more easily said than done. If Lou could post a picture, we could see for ourselves.

Mark

t walgamuth
08-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Boring! You'd need a section of bright lime green to liven it up a bit!

(Just kidding).

Jerry Forrester
08-18-2017, 06:54 PM
I've long believed that Studebaker should have offered a Black and Red two tone color scheme in '55! Seeing the fresh coat of black on your coupe, Jerry, with the red on the front wheels, reminded me of this. In my opinion, such a paint scheme on a Speedster, with red leather and carpeting in the interior, would have been even more stunning than the Lemon Lime combination! I live with an excruciating sense of disappointment, because I believe I've never seen one done this way. Surely there are others, out there, with similar feelings or am I wrong?

Mark

Those wheels are just roll-a-rounds. He's gonna get American Torque Thrusts when finished. 7X15 on the front and 8 1/2X15 on the rear.
But you're right, those red wheels do look good. I think next week I'll paint the rear's red.

tbredehoft
08-18-2017, 07:20 PM
I have to agree with Mark, so did Studebaker, though it may have been a second-season option. Here's my Land Cruiser and an original ad.

bezhawk
08-18-2017, 07:54 PM
I saw a black and red 55 Commander hardtop in Spokane about 1981 or so at a zone meet. It was beautiful.

swvalcon
08-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Nice thing about paint it comes in all kinds of shades. S2 deluxe as studeRich said just build it. All it takes is money sometimes a whole bunch of it.

sals54
08-19-2017, 09:19 AM
There was a black/red 55 Coupe that used to run around the Sacramento area waaaaay back in the day. The last I remember seeing it was in the late 80s.

56GH
08-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Maybe someone was listening in 1956! Here's a 56J in Romany red and Midnight black (first two-tone color scheme) and a 56H in Midnight black and Romany red (first named colors on the bottoms).

Studeous
08-19-2017, 10:28 PM
Try Porsche Magenta and Black :)

S2Deluxe
08-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Nice thing about paint it comes in all kinds of shades. S2 deluxe as studeRich said just build it. All it takes is money sometimes a whole bunch of it.

I've already spent a whole bunch on my '54 project and I still need to spend a whole bunch more, before it will be complete. I'm not sure if, adding yet another large drain on my finances, at this point is really the most ideal solution? Although,, perrhaps there is no one else, who would like to see it the same as I would?

Mark

S2Deluxe
08-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Ok, so Black and Red two tones were available in '55. I assume the answer is yes, but does anybody know, for sure, that a Speedster could have been ordered with such a color combination? And if so, were any ordered? If so, how many? If not, Why? If any were built, are there no pictures?

Mark

8E45E
08-20-2017, 08:57 PM
Ok, so Black and Red two tones were available in '55. I assume the answer is yes, but does anybody know, for sure, that a Speedster could have been ordered with such a color combination? And if so, were any ordered? If so, how many? If not, Why? If any were built, are there no pictures?

Yes, Rancho Red/Velvet Black was available as a two-tone combination on '55 models. That combination was never offered on Speedsters, but as everyone knows, Studebaker would have bent the rules on that, IF someone had actually ordered one, of which nobody did. The only Speedster that ever came close was one painted a 1956 color combination of Romany Red/Snowcap White mentioned here----> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?102122-1955-Speedster-original-Romany-Red-and-Snowcap-White&highlight=romany

Craig

Lou Van Anne
08-20-2017, 10:02 PM
c OR k....it wasn't the hardtop, it was a coupe...2dr President....can't remember which is which! :ohmy:
I also recall seeing 55 2dr Commander in this combination.

S2Deluxe
08-21-2017, 12:58 AM
c OR k....it wasn't the hardtop, it was a coupe...2dr President....can't remember which is which! :ohmy:
I also recall seeing 55 2dr Commander in this combination.

So Lou, I think I get it now? Your uncle had a Black and Red '55 President ( 6H - C5 ) C body coupe! True? Do you remember it being black with a red top or red with a black top?

Mark

S2Deluxe
08-21-2017, 02:04 AM
Yes, Rancho Red/Velvet Black was available as a two-tone combination on '55 models. That combination was never offered on Speedsters, but as everyone knows, Studebaker would have bent the rules on that, IF someone had actually ordered one, of which nobody did. The only Speedster that ever came close was one painted a 1956 color combination of Romany Red/Snowcap White mentioned here----> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?102122-1955-Speedster-original-Romany-Red-and-Snowcap-White&highlight=romany

Craig

Yup, I remember the thread and it's quite a sharp looking Speedster! Just replace the Romany Red with Rancho Red, the Snowcap White with Velvet Black everywhere you see it and you'd have exactly what I'm talking about! As sunningly beautiful as I believe this paint scheme would have been, I actually have difficulty understanding how no-one would have ordered it?

Mark

Blue 15G
08-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Not a Speedster, but close: I knew of a '55 President "K" bodied Hardtop not too far from my place, which sat rotting in a guy's yard for years. It had a black top and trunk lid, and was black on the rear quarters down to the butterknife trim, and the rest of the car was red. But it was Pima Red, which sort of looked like tomato soup. The car was original and the guy I talked to who owned it was the original owner.

Lou Van Anne
08-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Red with a black top....such a sexy combination....loved it!

So Lou, I think I get it now? Your uncle had a Black and Red '55 President ( 6H - C5 ) C body coupe! True? Do you remember it being black with a red top or red with a black top?

Mark

S2Deluxe
08-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Not a Speedster, but close: I knew of a '55 President "K" bodied Hardtop not too far from my place, which sat rotting in a guy's yard for years. It had a black top and trunk lid, and was black on the rear quarters down to the butterknife trim, and the rest of the car was red. But it was Pima Red, which sort of looked like tomato soup. The car was original and the guy I talked to who owned it was the original owner.

Yeah that's a sad story that happens, way too often, with these cars! Another story that's not quite so sad but still uncertain is that I remember seeing a '55 "K" body. A few years ago, in and around Redwood city, a few times and haven't seen it since. Similar to the one you discribe it was Coraltone on the top, trunk lid and the rear quarters above the butterknife and the rest was Velvet Black. It appeared to have recently had quite a decent restoration and was also quite a show stopper! I'm a little uncertain but it seems to me that it was a Commander?

Mark