PDA

View Full Version : Need a convertible top for 1952 custom

cabforward
08-15-2017, 11:41 PM
I am considering a purchase of a 1952 hardtop hull and thinking of making a convertible out of it. I am wondering if anyone has a convertible frame and front windshield cap they would sell at a reasonable price. I am thinking the 50 thru 52 top will work? Anyone got any suggestions and what a reasonable priced bow setup would cost? I saw one in South Carolina for 2250 and feel it is too expensive.

thunderations
08-16-2017, 12:29 AM
You would need more then that. The top bows won't fit a 2 Dr sedan/hardtop body due to the different passenger compartment length. All the rear quarter interior panels, rear seats, door vent windows and side windows for doors and rear quarters are needed. Mounts for the top bows to attach to the body. Convertible used the same trunk lid as a 4 door sedan, so that needs to be dealt with too, along with the rear deck panel. Torque boxes need to be added under the floors and the frame on convertibles is a heavier gauge steel. It just keeps going with parts that are different.
It ain't just cutting the top off and adding some bows. You might want to locate and buy a convertible to start with. Probably have less invested and actually have something of some value when done.

Michidan
08-16-2017, 02:49 PM
If it's a true 52 hardtop it will be less work than you describe. For example, they already have torque boxes under the floor. They already have frameless windows. The body opening itself of the hardtop I'm not sure about, but I would bet it's identical to the convertible.

thunderations
08-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Just giving info that I know about on the 47-51's. Not sure if Studebaker would redesign the 52 body to be any different. Some measurements would confirm. Better to know now then after purchasing a set of top bows and a windshield frame.
If it's a true 52 hardtop it will be less work than you describe. For example, they already have torque boxes under the floor. They already have frameless windows. The body opening itself of the hardtop I'm not sure about, but I would bet it's identical to the convertible.

mbstude
08-16-2017, 06:29 PM
The '52 hardtop body shell was essentially a convertible body with a roof bolted/welded on.

swvalcon
08-16-2017, 06:58 PM
I would think it could be done. I worked at a shop in the late 80's and we cut the top off a 60 T-bird hard top and used a rusty convert to make it a convertible. Was a fairly easy job. Almost like it was made for it. The windshield posts unbolted at the bottom and the convert posts bolted right in.Cut the top and the panel between the back glass and the trunk and everything off the convert fit right in their place. As they say you can make anything fit with a torch and a welder.

Milaca
08-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Check this out:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/pts/d/1952-studebaker-convertible/6235701760.html

bezhawk
08-20-2017, 05:59 PM
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/d/1952-studebaker-convertible/6205706024.html

RadioRoy
08-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Looks like the same car in Winter and in Summer.

Make sure you get the motor, both ball screws, and the speedometer-type cables that connect both ball screws.