PDA

View Full Version : New power outlet

BRUCESTUDE
08-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Needing a power outlet in the Lark, but not trusting the corroded cigarette lighter, I located a new unit at a local variety store, and as seen in the picture it will fit right in the original spot on the dash! Together with a fused lead, everything cost about $15.

8E45E
08-14-2017, 01:57 PM
I located a new unit at a local variety store, and as seen in the picture it will fit right in the original spot on the dash!

No reason that it wouldn't.

Its an SAE standard 12V lighter/accessory socket common to almost all cars made with 12 electrics for the past 65 or so years.

Craig

JRoberts
08-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Needing a power outlet in the Lark, but not trusting the corroded cigarette lighter, I located a new unit at a local variety store, and as seen in the picture it will fit right in the original spot on the dash! Together with a fused lead, everything cost about $15.

This is a great reminder. I have had several people ask me about replacing this item. I directed them to do just what you have done.
Thanks for the post.

StudeRich
08-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Most of the New USA Lighters and Lighter Sockets are even the OEM Studebaker Brand: "Casco"! :ohmy:

bensherb
08-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Here are a few for the CASO's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Car-Auto-Cigarette-Lighter-Housing-Socket-Accessory-Replacement-Kit-/391647954697?hash=item5b30098709:g:JJEAAOSw5UZY~ZL8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-set-12V-Universal-Auto-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Head-Socket-Assembly-/322538270656?hash=item4b18c76fc0:g:qsMAAOSwxu5ZL5Co

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-120W-Car-Motorcycle-Boat-Tractor-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Socket-Outlet-Plug-/202020648671?hash=item2f095e76df:g:TKgAAOSw65FXs6~M

BRUCESTUDE
08-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Most of the New USA Lighters and Lighter Sockets are even the OEM Studebaker Brand: "Casco"! :ohmy:
Haha I noticed that too Rich!

rkapteyn
08-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Casco stands for "Cheap Ass Studebaker Corporation.?

rockne10
08-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Some even come with an illumination option. If you are a smoker who drives at night. Nowadays most are simply used for powering appliances.

thunderations
08-15-2017, 10:37 PM
A real CASO would spend a week soaking and cleaning the original, breaking it twice and repairing it with tape and JB Weld. Total cost of cleaning and repair items total just a little over $20, not counting the pair of jeans that got torn while attempting to scour the insides of the housing with a drill powered wire brush.

bensherb
08-15-2017, 11:07 PM
A real CASO would spend a week soaking and cleaning the original, breaking it twice and repairing it with tape and JB Weld. Total cost of cleaning and repair items total just a little over $20, not counting the pair of jeans that got torn while attempting to scour the insides of the housing with a drill powered wire brush.

Forget all that; just soak it in "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner, (about $1.25 at Wal-Mart) for a few minutes. It will remove any rust, cad, chrome, or any other plating and leave clean steel.

Blue 15G
08-16-2017, 07:27 AM

I love your description of what the CASO would do. Reminds me of my days working in the auto parts business and seeing what people would do to "save money":D. One of my favorites was the guy who soaked all his muffler clamps with penetrating oil to help them come apart without breaking, then he reused them on his new exhaust system.

jclary
08-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Some even come with an illumination option. If you are a smoker who drives at night. Nowadays most are simply used for powering appliances.

Question:confused:...My Dodge truck has three "POWER Outlets," however, only ONE is approved as a cigarette/cigar lighter. In other words, supposedly, some of these sockets are not supposed to be used with a heating element. My questions is...Does anyone know if there is a record of a fire, or vehicle destroyed/damaged:ohmy::oops: by using a non-approved power outlet with a standard lighter heating element? I don't know, haven't done any research, but this thread has me thinking about it.:confused::confused:

52-fan
08-16-2017, 01:00 PM
I bought a power outlet, with the cover, just like the one in the picture from O'Rielly. It didn't cost much and worked fine to power my daughter's GPS I borrowed to check my speedometer.