AFB Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: AFB Carbs

Can anyone point me to info on how to adjust these carburetors?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Here's some help...

How to Tune Edelbrock Carburetor Carb Idle Mixture Screws Electric Choke Metering Rods Jets Accelerator Pump Fuel Air Vacuumhttp://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/E...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

MOTORS manuals are great, very detailed, well illustrated and helpful. There should be some info in the Studebaker shop manual also.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

What DEEPNHOCK said...

Comment

Here are a couple more, with parts and info on opperation.

Comment

There are about 150 models of AFBs, the model numbers are stamped on a boss on the top. There are carb kits for all these models the kit number will fit several models. Usually in each kit there are detailed adjustments for float level, accelerator pump travel, choke travel. These are usually set for each vehicle application and rarely need any further adjustments accept when mixing and matching carbs and vehicles. In the day most carb mechanics used small bending hickeys to achieve the correct travels, once that was done they never had to be touched again. The only adjustments that may need tweaking are the idle adjusting screws and they are very simple, turn all the way in until they touch home then back off about 1 1/2 turns. With every thing tight and no vacuum leaks, you should never have to touch it again. If a smooth idle is difficult to attain look elsewhere for any vacuum leaks firstly.
            The carb itself is rarely the problem.

Comment

Trust nothing.....
              I just pulled apart an almost new Edelbrock 1403 500 cfm AFB carb to clean the E-10 gook out of it.
              The float adjustment was way WAY off... (and I had this carb since new)...
              The choke adjustment was off.
              The engine runs great now... But.....

Originally posted by altair View Post
              There are about 150 models of AFBs, the model numbers are stamped on a boss on the top. There are carb kits for all these models the kit number will fit several models. Usually in each kit there are detailed adjustments for float level, accelerator pump travel, choke travel. These are usually set for each vehicle application and rarely need any further adjustments accept when mixing and matching carbs and vehicles. In the day most carb mechanics used small bending hickeys to achieve the correct travels, once that was done they never had to be touched again. The only adjustments that may need tweaking are the idle adjusting screws and they are very simple, turn all the way in until they touch home then back off about 1 1/2 turns. With every thing tight and no vacuum leaks, you should never have to touch it again. If a smooth idle is difficult to attain look elsewhere for any vacuum leaks firstly.
              The carb itself is rarely the problem.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks everyone...always receive good advice here.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                  There are about 150 models of AFBs, the model numbers are stamped on a boss on the top.
                  Actually they made 505 different versions of the AFB. But there are only a few major body vairiations and several different throttle plate bores. One major difference between AFB's is the auxillery airvalve, it's the largest variable between versions.

The correct AFB for an R1 should be a # 3506s, it's aprox 637cfm@2"hg. It has a primary throttle plate bore of 1.437" and a secondary bore of 1.690". The primary jet should be .089" and the secondary jet .077", metering rod should be .069"/.058".

Sorry, I've not had a correct secondary air valve to compare.

I currently have an AFB #3651s for a 1964 Pontiac 421/AT on my GT. It was the closest to the Stude AFB I could find, and has the correct throttle plate. I Started with the Stude size jets, but have changed to a .092 primary jet and a .071"/.058" metering rod to fatten up the primary side a bit. It's still just a tad lean. The metering rod springs make a difference too, but I can't say what springs I have since they're all black, no more color code. The secondary airvalve must be pretty close since the transition to secondaries is quite good and smooth. However, If I was being very picky I might say is was a tiny bit slow, so it's not perfect..

Comment

I used the "150" models number to infer that there are several models of AFBs. Each model has its ident info no. stamped on a boss. If the OP wanted the info on his carb that would be the number to address as opposed to AFBs in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X