How Did They Miss That?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Did They Miss That?

The new clutch on my '61 Champ began chattering and got progressively worse so I took it to my favorite repair shop in town which had done the clutch replacement. I went by there a few days later to check on progress and the owner said they had sent the clutch and pressure plate back to the outfit in Portland that did the clutch work in the first place. In the meantime they had discovered the truck had a pretty big hole in the exhaust pipe a few inches below the manifold which needed to be repaired. Fortunately their is a good independent muffler shop right next door and they could move the truck over to them when they got the clutch and transmission re-installed. All well and good.
    I finally picked up the truck a couple of days ago and was pleased how much quieter the exhaust note was and the clutch worked even better than when I had the new clutch put in before. As I drove away, however, I noticed the speedometer was not working. I realized they had failed to reconnect it to the transmission. When I got home I looked under the truck and saw that the cable was hanging less than an inch from the ground. When I examined the end of it I saw that it had hit the ground and has a bit scuffed. As I looked at it I asked myself "How did they miss that? When the truck was on the rack getting the clutch work done it had to have been hanging right in their face. When they moved the truck to the muffler shop it must have still been hanging there yet the exhaust mechanic did not say anything to the mechanics next door, or just hook it up himself. It was way too obvious to miss.
    I think I will have some fun with this when I take the truck back to have the cable reconnected.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I am sure they tucked the cable up out of the way, and it was easy to miss hooking back up. It probably did not drop down until your drive home.
    54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
      ... As I drove away, however, I noticed the speedometer was not working. I realized they had failed to reconnect it to the transmission. When I got home ...
      Not trying to be an ass to you (but some of my traits are natural) but by your own words, there is enough negligence to go around.

Unless they had closed up and escaped their parking lot before you exited their driveway...as soon as you NOTICED...the "When I got home..." part of the above quote should not have happened until after they had been notified and corrected their error.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John,
        They were closing as I left and I did not notice the speedometer was not working until I was some distance away. I actually stopped and called the shop on the phone to see if someone was still there but no one answered.
        I left some of the details out of the story to keep it short.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

were all the rotating parts accounted for ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            were all the rotating parts accounted for ?
            It looked intact and I think if the cable had dropped out I would have heard it. I'll know this afternoon when I take the truck back to the shop to have it reconnected. I don't think the damage to the end of the cable housing was too badly hurt by touching the ground while the truck was moving. Just a little scuffing.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
              John,
              They were closing as I left and I did not notice the speedometer was not working until I was some distance away. I actually stopped and called the shop on the phone to see if someone was still there but no one answered.
              I left some of the details out of the story to keep it short.
              Thank Ed...that 'xplains that! I was hoping you were tough skinned enough for me to rib you ...(couldn't resist picking such "low hanging fruit.") Depending on the design, some of these speedometer cables can slither out the bottom of the housing. If yours stayed in, you are fortunate indeed.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

One much BIGGER problem I see here though. The Speedometer Pinion Gear would have been hanging on the end of the Cable unless they stored it somewhere, so it may be GONE!

I guess this must be one of the reasons that I very rarely leave any of my Studes. out of my sight.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I gave up having anyone fix anything I could fix myself. Even good places have irresponsible help come and go. Simple jobs are often given to new guys who don't really have a clue.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 54stude View Post
                    I am sure they tucked the cable up out of the way, and it was easy to miss hooking back up. It probably did not drop down until your drive home.
                    That's what it sounds like to me, too. I've done the same thing; put the speedo cable up on the frame somewhere and forgotten about it until you go for a drive.

Like Rich says, good chance the pinion gear is on the road somewhere since it slips into the end of the cable housing and nothing really holds it in.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      One much BIGGER problem I see here though. The Speedometer Pinion Gear would have been hanging on the end of the Cable unless they stored it somewhere, so it may be GONE!

I guess this must be one of the reasons that I very rarely leave any of my Studes. out of my sight.
                      Yup! the pinion gear was missing but the cable stayed in place.
                      Now I am looking for a pinion gear for a 1961 Champ truck with a V8 and 3-speed OD transmission and 427 rear diff gear. The shop said they would pay for it. I am bummed though.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You need a 520087 Pinion Gear for a E7 (V8 1/2 Ton) with 3 Speed Overdrive (T-89) with 4 Ply. 7.10X15 Tires, and 4.27 Axle Ratio.

This one is NLA & rare, and worth every bit of $50.00 and they NEED to Pay up!

These would be one size oversize, from the Standard 6.70X15 Car Tires, also Car 4 Ply Tires.
                        You can look up the conversion to modern radial tires on a Tire Website to get the Diameter in "P" Radials to match the 7.10X15 Bias Ply very commonly on Champ 1/2 Tons.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You need a 520087 Pinion Gear for a E7 (V8 1/2 Ton) with 3 Speed Overdrive (T-89) with 4 Ply. 7.10X15 Tires, and 4.27 Axle Ratio.

This one is NLA & rare, and worth every bit of $50.00 and they NEED to Pay up!

These would be one size oversize, from the Standard 6.70X15 Car Tires, also Car 4 Ply Tires.
                          You can look up the conversion to modern radial tires on a Tire Website to get the Diameter in "P" Radials to match the 7.10X15 Bias Ply very commonly on Champ 1/2 Tons.
                          My truck has 16" wheels.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The 16's are optional and the Pinion will be listed in the Parts Catalog Pinion Chart, probably even RARER!
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The 16's are optional and the Pinion will be listed in the Parts Catalog Pinion Chart, probably even RARER!
                              Looking at the chart, it seems that all 1/2 ton trucks with a 3 speed OD trans with a 4.27 rear, use a 520087 pinion gear. Regardless of wheel and tire size.

Ed, we should have an NOS one (Stephen Allen's).

Comment

Working...
                              X