PDA

View Full Version : '55 Champion Engine dressed up.

Aussie Hawk
08-09-2017, 09:05 PM
I've been slowly getting the 1955 Champion Two door sedan I bought from Joe Zeiger a few years ago back on the road. I cut some rust out, and had it painted which brough it up a treat but then the engine bay and engine looked it's age so I cleaned that up while giving it a tune and replacing the hoses etc.

Milaca
08-09-2017, 09:40 PM
That looks really nice Matt. Such details really add to the beauty of a car, I would put the hood (bonnet) up at car shows for people to admire it.

52-fan
08-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Looks very nice. What did you use on the manifolds? I need to do some of that.

packard352
08-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Did you put the chalk marks in, or were they already there?

Aussie Hawk
08-12-2017, 01:50 AM
Richard: I carefully cleaned and polished around the factory crayon markings.
52-fan: I bought some hi-temp rattle can paint from the local hardware, I guess it's for stoves and heaters. I've used it before on exhaust manifolds, it brings them up nice. I used the 'charcoal' colour, 3 to 4 coats does the trick.

StudeRich
08-12-2017, 02:00 AM
Beautiful job Matt! :!: I like the huge Carb. Heat Shield, however since it has the later type Fuel Pump you will not be able to use the Fuel pump Heat Shield.

The AC Type Pump with the Glass Fuel Bowl that protrudes out from the block has provision for the shield.

Kurt
08-12-2017, 06:00 AM
That sure does look nice!

Aussie Hawk
08-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Thanks guys, I was pretty happy with it.
Rich: The car is going south to my son in the army in an area that gets pretty hot in summer, therefore the heat shield under the carb. I did look at the fuel pump heat shields and noted they wouldn't fit. I've also wrapped the line from the pump to the carb in ceramic wool insulation, hopefully this will ward off fuel vapourizing. With the designed of the carb heat shield I subscribed to the idea of bigger was better

DEEPNHOCK
08-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Beautiful work.
Thanks for posting your pic's.

55 56 PREZ 4D
08-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Just a question.
Aerodynamically, at high speeds, would the heat shield pass more air under it if the front lip was tipped up instead of down ?
:):D:lol:

Aussie Hawk
08-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Just a question.
Aerodynamically, at high speeds, would the heat shield pass more air under it if the front lip was tipped up instead of down ?
:)
Quite possibly, I didn't take that into consideration as it was under the hood. The crease in the leading edge was to add rigidity. I guess you would need a rocket scientist to work that out, and really in the whole scheme of things does it really matter. We are talking about the heat differential above and below a rudimentary heat shield on a 1955 Studebaker six cylinder engine.