PDA

View Full Version : Swap page sparkplug wires.

52-fan
08-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Has anyone on here bought sparkplug wire sets from Don Nowak who advertises on the SDC swap page? My brother sent him a message asking if the six cylinder set were straight or angled on the sparkplug end and got back a message telling him to ask someone what year his engine was. I realize he should have given a year, but the question could have been answered without the sarcasm. Is this guy okay???

RadioRoy
08-09-2017, 08:44 PM
It's really hard to see sarcasm in print. So much of our communication is nuanced by verbal queues. Are you sure he was being sarcastic? Maybe he just talked to the previous five customers who were not knowledgeable.

Steve Allen had a great routine on his show. He would read letters to the editor and advertisements, but he would read them as if the writer was upset and angry. That was some really funny stuff.

52-fan
08-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I can imagine all kinds of excuses, but we were wondering about the product and seller. If I knew he had a user name on here I would have asked directly.

Guido
08-09-2017, 10:35 PM
If you are worried about being taken on a $15 wire set, I would recommend moving on to a vendor you know and trust.

Dwain G.
08-10-2017, 12:26 AM
Seems like a reasonable question. Some years were straight, some years angled. Seller would need to know what year. And the ad I saw said $30 a set.

Studebakercenteroforegon
08-10-2017, 01:12 AM
All Studebaker flathead six cylinder engines - Champion Six and Commander Six - and all '61 to '64 OHV Skybolt Sixes - should have 90 degree ends at the spark plug. This at least applies to postwar engines - I have no knowledge of prewar.
Yes, you do see plenty with straight ends, but this is from using a universal wiring set.

jts359
08-10-2017, 08:28 AM
I brought some parts from him , They were mismarked on the package label and he took them back with no problems , I would try him again , Ed

52-fan
08-10-2017, 10:06 AM
I brought some parts from him , They were mismarked on the package label and he took them back with no problems , I would try him again , Ed

That's what we wanted to know. His reply made us wonder about him. I also told my brother he should have included the year of the engine, but a little broader answer would have still covered the question.
I really dislike the way a flathead six looks with the straight boot wires arching into the air over the engine. That is why I warned him to as about the style of these. Of course he could buy a universal set and make up his own, but lots of these sets are bright colors that look funny on an old vehicle.

52-fan
08-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Is he making up these sets or reselling someones product?

jts359
08-11-2017, 08:48 AM
He told me he buys auto part stores inventory , Ed

52-fan
08-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. We will probably just make up our own.