Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlarging the oil drainback holes in '55-61 heads to the '61-64 diameter - benefits and dangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Enlarging the oil drainback holes in '55-61 heads to the '61-64 diameter - benefits and dangers

On a recent performance build, when the customer filled the coolant system, the top half drained into the oil pan. Fortunately, he caught it before it before starting the engine.
    He pulled the engine and we had it shipped back for examination. Also, fortunately, the problem was the easiest fix.

On ’61-64 V8 heads, Studebaker enlarged the oil drainback holes from 5/16” tp 3/8”. We always drill the early heads to that 3/8” diameter; at least fifty early heads and have never seen any problems. Randomly, recently, this 535976 head either had internal core shift or enough internal rust in the area of the drainback hole that it caused a pinhole to open from the coolant side when the drainback hole was drilled to 3/8”. The pinhole was down in the middle of the passage and not easily visible.

The fix we came up with was to drill the hole to 7/16” and press in a 5/16” valve guide. With a .002” press fit and Loctite, it’s a permanent repair.

As we drilled larger for the repair I was watching carefully and it was good to see the pinhole not get larger as we drilled the drainback hole larger for the repair. The hole stayed small, indicating a very localized problem area.

As a precaution, we’re pressure and vacuum testing the other head to ascertain there’s no similar problem hiding in there.

The engine will soon be back in place and we learned just one more thing to watch for when trying to improve this rusty old stuff.

jack vines
    PackardV8

I also always drill the drain-back passages larger when I port heads for people.
    But while I don't recall the diameter, I only drill to the same diameter as the (head to block) alignment sleeves I.D. I then radius the inlet of the holes for a faster drain.
    There's no sense in going larger than the sleeves inner diameter, only to have the oil backup at that smaller diameter.

Mike

Comment

Good to know. Glad it was caught before disaster struck!

Comment

Thanks for warning us of that possible condition in our old iron parts. It takes a good and honest person to admit oversights.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We left those holes alone and opted to make thin wall dowel sleeves instead.
          61 lark cruiser
          64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
            I also always drill the drain-back passages larger when I port heads for people.
            But while I don't recall the diameter, I only drill to the same diameter as the (head to block) alignment sleeves I.D. I then radius the inlet of the holes for a faster drain.
            There's no sense in going larger than the sleeves inner diameter, only to have the oil backup at that smaller diameter.

Mike
            Ditto.

Came to the same conclusion.

Comment

The last few blocks that got sonic tested showed a thin spot on #7 between the cylinder bore and the oil drainback passage.
              Not dangerous thin.. Just big overbore scary thin.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Besides the enlarging mentioned by Jack & others, I have been using GLYPTAL enamel in the valley areas in order to aid in the oil drain back. Seems to work.
                Bill

Comment

Great info!! This is the kind of post that keeps me visiting the forum.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
                  X