Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M16 production order questions about the info thereon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M16 production order questions about the info thereon...

Folks, this is the first of what's liable to be many advice/info requests about my newly-acquired 1948 M16 cab-and-chassis-only truck.
    One of the former owners got the SNM Truck Production Order copy, and it came to me as part of the overall set of sale documents. As for the info on that order, I wonder about these things:
    (1) in the "Other Special Features" section, in addition to an AC1500 hood ornament, there's "Mountain Brakes" mentioned. What does that mean? Is that a level of heavy duty-ness beyond regular brakes for this truck? Since the brake pedal is soft, I know that brake work will have to be done, and with the heavy-truck-specific wheel cylinders and a hydrovac/power brake unit already being involved in the equation, I'm wondering how complicated getting the brakes serviced will actually be !

(2) the Paint Number and color is listed as "P2101B Ruby Glow Red". The truck is now a faded red all over (cab and fenders both....and even the headlight rings!); was a single color standard/available on these trucks, or were black fenders standard?

(3) I was told a story of the truck's origin, and so was hoping to see at least where the truck was originally delivered. The SNM order says "Stock" in the "Destination" box; does this mean that no specific ordering customer or dealer was known at the time of production, and that my research as to origin is over before it begins ?

Thanks to any and all more knowledgeable Forum folks. I'm an enthusiastic Studebaker person, and have been since 1976, but unfortunately my enthusiasm far outweighs my mechanical knowledge and abilities !
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Originally posted by migral23 View Post
    (2) the Paint Number and color is listed as "P2101B Ruby Glow Red". The truck is now a faded red all over (cab and fenders both....and even the headlight rings!); was a single color standard/available on these trucks, or were black fenders standard?
    I believe black fenders were stock until 1946. After that, different color fenders would have been a special order/fleet option.

Craig

Comment

To get the Dealer the Truck was sent to and MAYBE the owner's name etc. you would have to ask the SNM about their "Premium Package" of Vehicle info to get the "Shipper" form etc. IF it available for your Truck.

Yes you have Heavy Duty Brakes, but servicing ANY truck that old and finding correct Parts is going to be a challenge, so I don't think it will be much worse than Standard Brakes.

Craig has already explained that they had Black Fenders when New.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You are correct that "Stock" means the truck was unsold at the time of production. As Rich said, additional info regarding its dealer and destination city MIGHT be available with more research and more $$. Agree with Craig and Rich -- only the M5 models got body-colored fenders after the War, special-order vehicles excepted.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
        X