PDA

View Full Version : 1950 Commander Auction Online

royvaldez
08-07-2017, 11:30 AM
This one is to far for me, but check this one out. http://www.auctiontime.com/listings/other-items/auctions/online/20551291/1950-studebaker-starlight-coupe?LP=TH

Commander Eddie
08-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Yikes! 13,008 original miles? What a time capsule. It appears it may have a reserve on it. It will be interesting to see where the bidding goes. Gosh, I wish I had a place for another car. I would bid on this honey in a heartbeat.

RadioRoy
08-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Is there some corrosion on the front bumper? I like the color, but the car has been repainted. You can tell that because the rear fender welt is unpainted and seems to be a larger diameter than what was originally used.

studegary
08-07-2017, 08:13 PM
I like the car, except for where it is. A non-runner at a distance is a real problem.
There is no buyer's premium on this auction - a big plus.
Based on things like the interior, it appears to be low mileage, but probably not that shown by the mis-indexed odometer numbers.
The car may not be a complete repaint, by the looks of it. Perhaps the welting was cleared off or replaced.
That is a good example of the correct engine green.
I guess that they do not know that the car appears to have overdrive.

unclemiltie
08-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Is there some corrosion on the front bumper? I like the color, but the car has been repainted. You can tell that because the rear fender welt is unpainted and seems to be a larger diameter than what was originally used.

years back there was a debate on the color of the fender welt, some say they sometimes came unpainted, others said they were always body color. I remember Earle Haley talking about this at one of our meetings. He had done a lot of research for his column in turning wheels and if I remember correctly this was never completely verified one way on other. I have had 3 50 commanders and all were painted body color. Could this be one that was not painted body color????

Mike Sal
08-08-2017, 09:34 AM
If you look at the Life Magazine article done on Studebaker in '47, there's a photos which clearly show body colored welting.
Mike Sal

RadioRoy
08-08-2017, 02:17 PM
years back there was a debate on the color of the fender welt, some say they sometimes came unpainted, others said they were always body color. I remember Earle Haley talking about this at one of our meetings. He had done a lot of research for his column in turning wheels and if I remember correctly this was never completely verified one way on other. I have had 3 50 commanders and all were painted body color. Could this be one that was not painted body color????

The other thing I mentioned was the diameter of the welting. Studebaker used welting that was smaller diameter than what is on this car. It's possible, though not likely that this car has original paint, but it has absolutely been re-welted. The welt is supposed to be painted and smaller diameter.

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at the Life Magazine article done on Studebaker in '47, there's a photos which clearly show body colored welting.
Mike Sal

Absolutely correct.

jclary
08-08-2017, 03:19 PM
I am not one to buy a vehicle going on pictures alone. However, if I were really wanting a Commander Bullet Nose Starlight Coupe, I would go take a look. If it checked out as good as this one looks, regardless of the seller's "puffery," or the critiques of my fellow forum members, I would be willing to bid up to a point. As long as the work is "quality," I would consider "new" paint, new welting, and other enhancements, a bonus.:)

Corvanti
08-08-2017, 04:59 PM
she has a propeller on the bullet - what more could you ask for? :woot:

and yeah, the welts should be body color. the size doesn't bother me. perhaps the rear fenders could be loosened a bit a tucked down/replaced. or "lead sled" it and paint.:)

studegary
08-08-2017, 07:42 PM

Since Earle's days on this, Fred Fox and I did a lot of research on this subject. Fred wrote up the result in various Turning Wheels' articles. 1947-1952 rear fender welt should be body color, with a possible exception of some dark/black cars where the black welting was not painted. The idea was to make the rear fenders look more like blended in quarter panels rather than added on pieces/fenders. Many people came to erroneous conclusions because the paint had been polished/weathered off the welting on their cars.

greyben
08-29-2017, 06:36 PM
The bidding is at $7200 and ends tomorrow.

deco_droid
08-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Wow, $18,900!!! I was watching the auction the last hour. It really went into a bidding war the last 20 or 30 minutes. Nice car somebody won. I don't really care for that color personally, but it looks to be in great condition! Kinda funny it doesn't have a radio, but came with backup lights. I don't see those on too many 1950 models...