Supercharger additive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger additive??

I had my '63 Avanti R-2 at the LaConner car show yesterday and I guy comes up and asks if I've been adding an additive to my Paxton Supercharger. I've only added the Ford type "F" transmission fluid but he insisted that there's some sort of additive that needs to be added. I've followed what everyone here has been saying about what goes into the supercharger & I've never read anything about an additive. Anybody know anything about this or is it one of those many things we hear when we're at a car show?

The most common additive is $$$.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I've never heard of an additive for them. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in. Bill

Comment

From the Supercharger experts.....
        I've been told the Ford Brand Type "F" is the fluid to use. I've heard that it might be phased out, so I bought a case from the my local Ford dealer.
        Now I'm set for future availability.

Been told to never use synthetic oil, it is too slippery for the ball drive.

So maybe your additive advice is from someone thinking of Posi-Traction / Twin Traction rear differentials.
        Where an additive is needed to provide the necessary friction, for the clutch mechanism.

Keeping Studebakers alive:
        Stude-Preferred

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
          I had my '63 Avanti R-2 at the LaConner car show yesterday and I guy comes up and asks if I've been adding an additive to my Paxton Supercharger. I've only added the Ford type "F" transmission fluid but he insisted that there's some sort of additive that needs to be added. I've followed what everyone here has been saying about what goes into the supercharger & I've never read anything about an additive. Anybody know anything about this or is it one of those many things we hear when we're at a car show?
          To me, the best theory would seem to be, that an R2 with 9:1 compression from the factory and if any resurfacing of the heads or decks was done over the years? He was referring to some of those octane booster additives that they sell and recommend adding the tank, to prevent detonation, whenever you fill up with today's pump gas.

Mark
          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Use a high quality synthetic fluid such as is offered from Redline and your supercharger will be much happier and for a longer time...

Comment

"He was referring to some of those octane booster additives that they sell and recommend adding the tank, to prevent detonation, whenever you fill up with today's pump gas."

Nope. He wasn't talking octane boost. He definitely said that I needed some sort of additive to the Paxton Supercharger because the bearings need it as it gets old. I'd never heard about anything like this on the forum so that's why I reached out to the knowledgeable ones.

Comment

Guys who come up to you and insist on things are often talking through their hat. Unless it's me, of course.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

When I had my supercharger rebuilt by John Erb back in early 70s, he included a quart of SANOTRAC blower fluid to be added when needed to maintain level in my charger .Said it would extend blower life and reduce friction on internal parts.
                  NEIL G.

Comment

Dick Datsun said Sanotrac was the same thing as B&M Trick Shift with three table spoons of STP added. I would think Lucas oil additive is a better thing to add. Three spoon fulls wouldn't harm the traction. I like the long chain molecule idea so the oil doesn't drain off when it sits.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

We need the hands on expert Karl Sparks to chime in here. He runs two of them on his Avanti and has since the sixties and he races his car. So if anyone would have experience in this area it would be him. Also Ted Harbit would be another "expert" on this subject.

Comment

Working...
                      X