Shop Manuel for 56J?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Manuel for 56J?

I am in process of installing the window rubber on my 56j after a repaint. Before I removed the rubber I took pictures but the new rubber does not look the same so I am thinking the previous owner just used what he could find off the shelf when he painted the car. My question is where is the best info and pictures to reinstall the rubber, shop manual? The shop manuals I have seen on line are listed as 56 and 57 passenger cars, do they have shop manuals just for a 56j? All info will be appreciated.

All Studebaker Chassis and Body Parts Catalogs and Shop Manuals cover all models, but not a lot of Detail on Rubber Installation.

The S.I. Catalog has simple, partial info on which way their rubber weatherstrips are to be installed.

A 56J should be no different than a '53 to '58 K Body Hardtop, not much is "Special" or different on these Cars except their Engine.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

but the new rubber does not look the same so I am thinking the previous owner just used what he could find off the shelf when he painted the car.
      Yes, even some vendors sell rubber which is "closest profile in the Steele catalog" but definitely not identical to Studebaker OEM.

No, the Studebaker Shop Manual won't always give the level of detail one would wish.

Maybe come to some meets and look at the better '53-58 Ks.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Some information is here....https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...ubberinst.html
        There is a '56 J Authenticity Guide but it doesn't have anything on weather strip installation.
        Your best bet for information is probably on the 56J register/forum....... http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I have manuals for many models of Studebakers. I have removed and replaced quite a few front/back windshields. Fortunately, for me, none of them had been altered, so installation, for the most part was the reverse of removal. If I'm recalling correctly, the manuals have a "body" section that explains the process. As to how much detail, I can't recall, and I'm too lazy right now to dig one out to check.
          But, apparently, it was enough detail for me to muddle through the job.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Send a nice email to Ray Lin asking for a bit of advice and am sure he'd be happy to give you a few pointers. Then again, if you search his website, you might find some useful tips...

Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Did I interpret the first post incorrectly? Are you talking about the windshield and back glass? Those are covered in the shop manual.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
              X