Flight-o-Matic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Flight-o-Matic Question

Working on the Flight-O-Matic in my 1957 Packard. Believe transmission is a type 8 Warner.
    Had a selector shaft leak (big time) seals have been replaced. In order to access the shafts, I removed the pressure valve and control valve.
    My question concerns the pressure valve.
    The two pistons are very tight and hard to move. Are these pistons suppose to move freely? All fluid has been removed internally.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by 57pack; 07-29-2017, 03:53 PM.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

The Pressure regulator valve spools should not be tight (nor sloppy for that matter either). These should pull out easily once you release the spring cover and springs.
    The photo shows the spools still in place however these should almost fall out.
    Have a look at my Blog on the Flightomatic http://studebakerflightomatic.blogspot.com.au/
    Steve
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02189.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1715788
    Last edited by Steve Winzar; 07-30-2017, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks Steve! I thought it strange that they were so tight.
      I will see if I can get them to move more easily.
      Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?
      Yes, been on your site many times before and during my disassembly, am getting started on reassembly.
      You have been a great help, I thank you!
      Last edited by 57pack; 07-30-2017, 05:51 AM.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Thanks for that, I really appreciate your comments because i intended my blog to be of assistance to others. I must apologise for the fact that I have never finished it and can't access it for editing anymore . If you have the spools out, I would check these for straightness by rolling them over a flat surface. I really doubt they'd be bent but check this anyway. You did not say whether this Transmission has been in use lately or stored for millenia and I am wondering whether the bores may have corroded slightly, thus resulting in reduced clearances. If you choose to open it up (I would), be really vigilant that you don't lose or displace any of the small bits inside, and then very very gently polish any crusty deposits out. See the top right hand diagram in the jpeg for some insight. It's a simple enough part and I doubt if you need to replace it but that is an option. Let us know how you go with it- you my PM me if you wish.
        Regards, Steve

Name:	page 19.jpg
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1715790

Comment

Thanks Steve, I haven't tried to remove the spools so far. Life has a habit of stopping me from getting back out to the garage.
          You are correct, the transmission has been sitting for a few years without oil and I can see the spool valves aren't shinny like you have in the pictures. So I suspect corrosion is the issue.
          I will be back with updates.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1716023 Hi Steve,
            Flight-O-Magic question.
            On this control valve, I can move the two valves on the right freely. The two valves on the left refuse to move.
            My thought is they should move?
            Before I attempt to take this apart, I wanted to ask you.
            Thanks again for all of your help.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

There sure does appear to be a lot more than normal corrosion and Rust? on that Valve body, usually they are clean and wet with Fluid.
              If that'a true it tells a lot about this Transmission's condition.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any of the valves should fall in their bores freely. If they don't they need to be removed, use a small screwdriver or pencil magnet. NOTE : the location of all springs photos of valvebody dissasembly are necessary. Clean valve body with brake clean. Spool valves will be need to lightly sanded with 400 grit and clean with brake clean and blow off with compressed air. During reassembly use WD 40 to lubricate spool valves and prevent rust. Lou Cote

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]66437[/ATTACH] Hi Steve,
                  Flight-O-Magic question.
                  On this control valve, I can move the two valves on the right freely. The two valves on the left refuse to move.
                  That corrosion on the upper valve body & visible valves suggests long time moisture in the auto itself & perhaps you may have to bite the bullet & overhaul the unit. The fact that you have replaced the two shaft seals suggests the inner seals around pistons & shafts are also hardening? Good luck.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]66437[/ATTACH] Hi Steve,
                    Flight-O-Magic question.
                    Hi- Those spools should all be free under normal circumstances, ther are no mechanical interlocks. There certainly is evidence of the valve being open to damp air or similar condition because they should appear nice and grey when wiped clean of fluid. Time to open it up extremely carefully. take photos of each step and note where everything comes from. Go gently with recalcitrant spools- you won't want to bend anything and go easy with abrasives when removing corrosion. Scotch Brite might be worthwhile in places otherwise fine Emery and Kero. Wash everything clean when you are done. The shop manuals say to lubricate o rings etc with Petrolatum- this is petroleum jelly (vaseline) which I feel will offer better protection than Dexron. You could opt for an exchange valve if you find this all daunting.
                    Let us know how you make out.
                    Steve

Comment

Hi 57pack- Just as an aside, I take it you have been driving with this Flightomatic hence your issue with selector shaft seals. If that's the case how has it been operating with stuck spools? If you have in fact stored this Trans, I would suggest that Jim Quigley's advice for you to dive in and overhaul your trans would be well worth the effort. Having seem how shrivelled and hard the seals can become given time and heat when I rebuilt my unit, I would only suggest the same. You have seen my blog, it isn't that difficult and well worth the experience.
                      Steve

Comment

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Hi 57pack,
                          It won't take you long to do this job and you will be far better off in the end. If the trans was a runner when you last used it you might just freshen up all the rubber parts with a kit from Fatsco or others. Bands and bronze clutch plates may be ok to re use but you can make a judgement on that when inspecting. Do check the manuals. Make sure you replace the bronze bush in the front pump nose because it cops a bit of wear and is easily done. consider replacing the center support bearing also. all the rest of the bearings will likely be good enough to go for a lot longer. I have managed to resurrect my Blog on how to recondition the Flightomatic, so you might see some additions finally .
                          Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X