PDA

View Full Version : Interesting post on BangShift

bumpkinvilledano
07-29-2017, 07:23 AM
https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/kids-first-car-v8-swapped-studebaker-built-2000-absolutely-rips/

r1lark
07-29-2017, 07:41 AM
Ah yes, the Nelsons. They post here on occasion. Used to see them at the East Coast Timing Association (ECTA) meets. Great family, really into all types of grassroots racing.

52-fan
07-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Good write up. That $2,000.00 figure probably comes from lots of left overs and good buddy deals acquired over the years. Your results may vary. ;)

wheels777
07-29-2017, 12:21 PM
Good write up. That $2,000.00 figure probably comes from lots of left overs and good buddy deals acquired over the years. Your results may vary. ;)

Not true. We bought stuff at York Swap meet, craigslist, Maple Grove flea market and from folks on this site. Cubic sweat is still free, but most folks farm the work out today and forgot how to do stuff on the cheap.

GrumpyOne
07-29-2017, 02:00 PM
While I tend to be a "purist," this case may have involved a non viable original power plant or a six cylinder that would never see the light of day if I have anything to do about it.

A little over twenty years ago, I purchased a four door '63 Lark six that was structurally pristine but it had the cursed cracked head. So I set about replacing it with a refreshed 259 with a FOM, 307 rear and drove it for several years.

That little 259 broke more motor mounts than I care to remember as back around 2000, gas was 98ยข per gallon for premium which allowed me to crank up the timing. One time when I put my foot into it, it broke both mounts and shifted position making the trip home just a little hair raising as the fan was brushing agains something whenever I would encounter a bump in the road. When I got home and opened the hood, the engine was almost off of motor mount brackets but no other damage was evident. I jacked up the engine, wrestled it back into position, installed new mounts and I was back in business!

The best feature though was the 22+ MPG that I could achieve on highway driving. But perhaps a more important point is that once the numbers no longer match, originality becomes much less of a factor in one's choice to do whatever...

Jeff T.
07-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Love the hood, does the mold still exist?

Jeff T.

wheels777
07-29-2017, 04:07 PM
It does. It is in the barn. A little crude as we made it and the hood in 1 and a half days. But it worked

JRoberts
07-29-2017, 04:46 PM
I first met the Nelson family many years ago while at the York swap meet. We seemed to hit it off right away and, along withe a friend, was invited out to their place to look over the operations there. I was blown away. As the article states their whole operation is a family affair. They are great people. I met up with them at York in years to follow. Then we met up at Maxton when the family came there to run another family project. As many of you know I was a course worker with the ECTA when they held their land speed races there. It was great to see the Nelson family racing there. Their multifaceted interest in creating automobiles out of almost nothing is an honorable thing, and the fact that it is a complete family affair makes it even better. Hats off to the Nelson family and at this point especially Calvin for his achievement. Though the Nelsons have, and I assume still do, dabble in makes other than Studebakers, I am glad we have them to represent Studebakers in a lot of their endeavors.

DEEPNHOCK
07-29-2017, 05:23 PM
The Grassroots link from that article:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/millennial-falcon-meet-calvin-nelson-and-his-stude/

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/kids-first-car-v8-swapped-studebaker-built-2000-absolutely-rips/

StudeRich
07-29-2017, 07:02 PM
Not true. We bought stuff at York Swap meet, craigslist, Maple Grove flea market and from folks on this site. Cubic sweat is still free, but most folks farm the work out today and forgot how to do stuff on the cheap.

Andrew, (or Calvin using Dad's I.D.) you got me curious here, your '59 Lark 'Cruiser'????
Is it a Long Wheelbase 113" Taxi or Police Car, or MAYBE a 1961, the FIRST "Cruiser"?

OR... maybe just a "Freeway high speed Cruiser" not a "Studebaker" Cruiser?

wheels777
07-30-2017, 04:18 AM
Andrew, (or Calvin using Dad's I.D.) you got me curious here, your '59 Lark 'Cruiser'????
Is it a Long Wheelbase 113" Taxi or Police Car, or MAYBE a 1961, the FIRST "Cruiser"?

OR... maybe just a "Freeway high speed Cruiser" not a "Studebaker" Cruiser?

Calvin doesn't get on this site.
Cruiser is just a reference to the fact that we drive the car a lot. Not a model. We're planning to install a Paxton on it this winter.

lumpy
07-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Great work as usual :!!: I love the ingenuity and the ability to make things work very well without throwing cubic dollars at it!

wheels777
07-31-2017, 12:13 PM
Great work as usual :!!: I love the ingenuity and the ability to make things work very well without throwing cubic dollars at it!

Thanks. It was a fun project. Funny fact, my wife and Calvin throw the engine together 9 days before the event in Florida. As noted in the Hopping up thread, He won Best Engineered and Rookie of the Year, 2nd in the Drags, 16th in the auto-x and 5th in the Concour. Drove his own truck and towed a trailer to Florida, helped build a roll cage in another teams car...Then Friday morning...the photo of the car racing without the front end...when it got to Fla, the A-x tires rubbed on a turn. He didn't want to damage to fenders, so he pulled the front end, auto-x'ed in in the morning, repair my car with Paula and Cameron, then threw the front end back on and Drag raced it that afternoon/night. Saturday was in the show part of the event, loaded it and went to the awards banquet til midnight, 4am Sunday jumped in the truck and pulled straight through 960 miles via Richmond, Washington and Baltmore, at work at 6:45 Monday....at 23 years old.