No announcement yet.

200 4R Mystery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 200 4R Mystery!

The 200 4R automatic I put behind my 289 in my Sky Hawk, has 4 forward gears...with the overdrive NOT hooked up in ANY way! Am I mistaken, or does the 200 4R have only 3 forward speeds, with a 4th gear being the overdrive?!

4th gear is overdrive. 3rd gear is direct.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-28-2017, 02:17 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

How in the world is this going into fourth gear, with out any of the external OD components installed?!

Comment

DOH! The 2004R HAS 4 forward speeds! What's not installed...yet...is the lock-up for the torque converter. Pretty soon, I won't have ANY marbles left...at the rate I'm loosing them...

Comment

Modern automatic transmissions with overdrive have the overdrive section built in. They do not appear as transmission extensions like they do on our manual transmissions with overdrives.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            Modern automatic transmissions with overdrive have the overdrive section built in. They do not appear as transmission extensions like they do on our manual transmissions with overdrives.
            Good idea to not drive too much without lockup function operating as it tends to overheat the transmission. This post was meant for 345 desoto but it won't delete!
            Last edited by 41 Frank; 07-28-2017, 06:03 PM. Reason: wrong post
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Let us know how you hook up the lock up feature. I'm going to swap this transmission into our Avanti II, but wasn't sure how to go about making the lock up work properly.
              Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                Let us know how you hook up the lock up feature. I'm going to swap this transmission into our Avanti II, but wasn't sure how to go about making the lock up work properly.
                Mike Sal
                There have been several threads here on 700R and 200-4R conversions into Studes, and tons of generic info on the internet for swapping into other cars. Its not difficult, just time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  There have been several threads here on 700R and 200-4R conversions into Studes, and tons of generic info on the internet for swapping into other cars. Its not difficult, just time consuming.
                  just posted this one last week..

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                  Here is a write up on a 200r4 conversion in an Avanti. It also has the X-frame. Pro/Cons and cost.. Looks like the drive shaft was lengthen. Doing the swap with the engine in car with an X-Frame may require a few sentence enhancers, but do able.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/...ssionswap4.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                    just posted this one last week..
                    Excellent write up for Myers' kit. Notice, in step #4 there is no mention of alignment dowel pins. When I installed that same kit, I chose to install alignment pins, but was on my own, since there were no provisions, nor mention of them in the instructions. Also in step #4, the writer simply said to remove the centering ring, when time to remove it. But I doubt it came off easily, since I had to split mine in order to remove it.

OTOH, Phil Harris' kit is steel, and comes with alignment pins. It also comes with a steel centering ring that comes off easily, but you have to send it back in order to get your deposit returned. The Myers kit has an aluminum, no deposit-no return ring, which was a good thing because I had to destroy it in order to get it off.

So anyone planning to install a GM transmission in a Stude would do well to compare the two versions of kits available, before buying. Either will work, but there are significant differences to be aware of.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 07-29-2017, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Actually, not connecting the clutch lockup will "not" hurt (overheat) the trans. in any way according to one long time T-200-4R builder.
                      As long as a good cooler is used, he warranties his transmissions, with the clutch in the converter, electrically connected or not.

Mike

Comment

But after going to all the trouble and expense to install an overdrive transmission with a lockup converter, then not to enable the lockup? Why not?

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

JACK VINES - Because I haven't gotten to it yet, driving it to find any bugs in the car...

Comment

I think Jack was talking about the transmission builder that would warrant them, whether the lock up was used or not. Test drive to your hearts content.
                            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Most of the street rod guy's hook the lock up to a switch so they can kick it in and out as they want.

Comment

Working...
                              X