PDA

View Full Version : Steering GT Hawk '63 Tie Rod Orientation

Paul Keller
07-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Am in process of replacing Inner Rubber Bushings and noticed that the tie rods as now mounted on the car, are reversed from what the Chassis Parts Manual Specifies.

The Manual notes that the long tie rod (approx. 19 plus") is mounted to the outside (connected to the steering arm) while the short rod (approx. 3 plus") is mounted to the inside, attached to the bell crank. My '63 is just the opposite.

The front was rebuilt by a front end shop twelve years ago, but this is the first time I have noticed the above (several suspension /steering problems have shown up since the rebuild-I am questioning the quality of the work done. The shop has since closed).

Is the manual correct in the orientation of the tie rods?
Is there a problem with the rods being reversed, as is now the case?

Your help is appreciated, as always.

PaulTK

Dwain G.
07-27-2017, 04:36 PM
As built the tie rods were positioned as shown in the manual. Some people do swap them around so as to get the sleeve clamps away from the front of the oil pan. That's more of a problem with the shorter wheelbase sedan bodies.
It doesn't change anything in the steering geometry or alignment specifications.

StudeRich
07-27-2017, 04:56 PM
If there are problems with wandering, pulling L or R, uneven Tire Wear, shaking, hopping, hard turning etc. I would find an older school (as in been around 10-20 years) Alignment and Front end Shop that knows how to deal with a King Pin Suspension front end to do a good front end alignment.

Allowing them to see the tread on your current Tires you are running is a MAJOR clue to front end condition, so do not replace them Yet.