PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Passenger turn signals

gmannix55
07-26-2017, 07:51 PM
I have a 56j that the passenger tail light and front turn signal are all working (front turn signal, rear turn signal, brake light, parking lights) but are not as bright as the driver side. I have checked the connections at the rear and the front and have made sure I have a good ground at the front and the back. Any other grounds that I should check or is there a chance it is in the turn signal switch. I help appreciated.

bezhawk
07-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Make sure they are the same bulbs. 1157, and 1034 are different amperages, and brightness.

altair
07-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Don't be fooled, the bright side may be the culprit with a bad ground and that side is seeking a ground through the filament of the side with the dimmer light. Therefore the dim side will most likely have the good ground and the bright side may have the questionable ground.

55 56 PREZ 4D
07-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Don't be fooled, the bright side may be the culprit with a bad ground and that side is seeking a ground through the filament of the side with the dimmer light. Therefore the dim side will most likely have the good ground and the bright side may have the questionable ground.

Grounds will screw with you in all kinds of weird ways.
An electrical system needs to be restored just like any other component of a car. Corrosion, connections, old wiring, rusty greasy painted grounding points.

StudeRich
07-27-2017, 05:28 PM
A Clouded, Dirty or different Brand or Mfg. date Lens can alter the brightness, also the reflective quality of the background inner part of the Housing.
I have used Aluminum Foil to improve the reflectivity of old dull housings.

Definitely use the 1157 or brighter Bulbs, sand all connections including the INSIDE of the bulb Socket and use dialectic grease on them.

Test your grounds by connecting a Alligator clip jumper wire from a good frame ground to each housing with lights on, and look for improvement.

altair
07-29-2017, 01:08 PM
I had a strange experience once where one light (front park light) was extra bright and all the others were normal. I changed the bulb and all the lights were normal. The bulb was the two filament type one for running light and the other for turn signal, the running light filament separated and welded itself to the filament of the turn signal. With the running lights on and the turn signal actuated everything would blink even the dash and radio lights. It took me one afternoon to correct the problem. I checked all the grounds and the bulbs, the bulbs had no discoloration or evidence of burned out and all the grounds appeared to be good. I was somewhat suspicious of the extra bright bulb and changed it on speculation and that was the problem.