PDA

View Full Version : Other: General engine bay cleaning

Ron Dame
07-26-2017, 06:08 PM
How do you all do general cleaning? Gunk stinks and doesn't do that good, Purple power messes up the paint. What do you all do for general clean up of oil mist and light dirt under the hood?

Corvanti
07-26-2017, 06:20 PM
i usually use Simple Green and a fairly soft brush only where needed for engine bay cleaning. i haven't had a problem with it on the painted surfaces - except i don't use a brush where oil/grit has worked into the paint. i also use a light water spray to get it off.:)

Ron Dame
07-26-2017, 06:59 PM
i usually use Simple Green and a fairly soft brush only where needed for engine bay cleaning. i haven't had a problem with it on the painted surfaces - except i don't use a brush where oil/grit has worked into the paint. i also use a light water spray to get it off.:) Thanks, I was wondering about Simple Green. Did you warm (not fully) the engine? how long did you let it soak? Garden hose or pressure washer?

r1lark
07-26-2017, 08:48 PM
I use the same car wash stuff (Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate) that I use on the outside.......but not the same sponge as used on the outside. If there is some oily areas, usually Gunk Foamy Engine Brite.

kfnut
07-27-2017, 07:11 AM
" L.A.'s TOTALLY AWESOME " cleaner from the Dollar General store works good and is only a buck for the spray bottle version but can get it by the gallon .

JoeW
07-27-2017, 08:30 AM
I also use "Totally Awesome". It also works well for cleaning white walls with a Scotchbright pad.

Commander Eddie
07-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Eastwood sells a handheld sprayer that hooks to your compressor, uses between 30 and 50 psi, and works with any water based cleaner/degreaser. It is like a handheld pressure washer and works like a gem. Makes cleaning fast, easy and kind of fun too.
I'll see if I can find a link directly to that product on their website and post it here. I highly recommend it especially for areas like engine bays because it can get in to places you can reach with a brush or rag.

Corvanti
07-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Thanks, I was wondering about Simple Green. Did you warm (not fully) the engine? how long did you let it soak? Garden hose or pressure washer?

yes, i warm the engine up for 5 to 10 minutes. soak for 10 to 15 minutes. on most cars i use a garden hose with a jet nozzle. on really dirty (oil/greasy) ones, i use a pressure washer but it will take "loose" paint off.

creegster
07-28-2017, 08:58 PM
There are a bunch of videos on Youtube from detailers on how to clean and detail your engine bay. Do a search, check them out and pick and choose what you want to do.

Ron Dame
07-29-2017, 07:42 AM
There are a bunch of videos on Youtube from detailers on how to clean and detail your engine bay. Do a search, check them out and pick and choose what you want to do.That's too logical.:lol: