78 Avanti power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 Avanti power steering

I had someone work on my 78 Avanti power steering. It had a small leak and they said they made a new gasket and fixed it. I drove it home and the whole resevoir had leaked onto the garage floor overnight. Now he tells me it has a bad control valve in the PS and says a new one costs $500 to rebuild.. I think he is taking me for a ride.
    Does anyone have this control valve for sale? I didn't know there was a valve, i thought it was just the pump.
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

Send it to Jon Myer. He'll rebuild it and his turnaround time is only a couple of days. Plus...you'll be comfortable knowing it was done correctly.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Leaking reservoir gasket and, "bad" control valve are two different things. Sounds like your current mech is clueless. Heck, it may be that he just goofed up the gasket so that it now leaks worse than ever. I'd first shop for another mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by davette59 View Post
        I had someone work on my 78 Avanti power steering. It had a small leak and they said they made a new gasket and fixed it. I drove it home and the whole resevoir had leaked onto the garage floor overnight. Now he tells me it has a bad control valve in the PS and says a new one costs $500 to rebuild.. I think he is taking me for a ride.
        Does anyone have this control valve for sale? I didn't know there was a valve, i thought it was just the pump.
        Whoa!!! Before doing anything else, I would first determine the location of the leak. What was the location of the original leak? In addition to the several hoses involved, there are potential leaks from the pump/reservoir, the control valve, and the cylinder. You need to get a better mechanic to put the car up on a lift, and find the real source of the leak before throwing more money at it.
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

Also know that it should be all Standard "Studebaker" Parts mostly the same as '58 to '66 Sedan, Wagon, and Lark Studes. and exactly the same as '63-'64 Avanti except the Pump.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And, in addition to all the above, buy the appropriate (late model) Studebaker parts and shop manuals (of course, '63-'64 Avanti will work for many things on your car) and look at whatever you are having service done on by others. Look at and compare to your car. Even if not the rebuilder yourself, you'll have some idea what you are being told... take in the parts manual and have the "mechanic" (yeah, right) show you what he's talking about. All the BEST!

Comment

You can't just "send" the control valve to someone, unless you remove the pitman arm from the steering box. The arm is part of the assembly, and the control valve is built around it. Unlike other manufacturers, the ball that the valve mounts on, is not removable (from the pitman arm).
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X