PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle: found in rear end ?

barry gibbons
07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Can someone tell me what this is? I open the back of the rear end up and this fell out. Before I start taking it apart, in my 1954 champion couple. Thanks for helping me get the axle out.

StudeRich
07-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Something that does NOT belong there! :(

WCP
07-24-2017, 10:03 PM
Metal or plastic, magnetic attraction or not?

barry gibbons
07-24-2017, 10:09 PM
It metal and magnetic

hausdok
07-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Phew,

That's a relief. Based on the title, I was afraid to open the thread - was imagining some gross thing found during a colonoscopy.

Do those Stude differentials have a magnet in them to collect the wear powder? If so, maybe it came loose?

barry gibbons
07-25-2017, 07:58 AM
When I meant magnetic. I meant that it could be pick up with a magnet. It not a magnet. It made of some type of steel.

barry gibbons
07-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Looking at the parts manual could this be a half of a thrust washer? 1954 champion coulpe

Lynn
07-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Can't help you with that one. Doesn't look like anything familiar to me.

I once disassembled a Corvette engine that had never been apart.

There was an ear ring in the bottom of the pan.

r1lark
07-25-2017, 09:42 AM
I had a 3.07:1 twin traction rear axle that came out of a '63 R2 Super Lark, and decided to put it in my '64 GT Hawk R1/Powershift car prior to driving to the International Meet in Dearborn MI. The Hawk had a 3.54:1 axle in it, and I wanted to get the highway rpm down because I knew we would be traveling 75 - 80 mph on that trip :cool:.

When I pulled the rear cover off, there were a bunch of pieces of metal in the bottom of the axle, pretty good sized chunks. When I got it all out, it was obvious what it was -- a square boss drain plug, the same size as what would go into a Dana 44. Unknown as to how it got in there (did someone on the Dana assembly line leave it in there, or did someone tighten the plug so tight that it fell into the axle?), but the amazing thing was the gears looked fine, no damage to be seen.

Rear axle did fine on that trip, no noise, no issues with the Twin Traction on sharp turns, etc. In fact, it's still in the car.

Weird. :)

Treblig
07-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Can't help you with that one. Doesn't look like anything familiar to me.

I once disassembled a Corvette engine that had never been apart.

There was an ear ring in the bottom of the pan.

An ear ring (worn by a person who dislikes you) dropped into the oil pan (via valve cover or oil spout) is a Voodoo spell (curse) that is designed to make your engine run poorly as long as you own the car!!:eek:

Treblig

barry gibbons
07-25-2017, 10:50 AM
My Dad had this car and my brother don't believe he every had it off. I'll turn the gears and don't see any thing else in there and gears look good.

BILT4ME
07-26-2017, 06:10 PM
I cannot get a sense of scale of how big this really is, but it looks like a punch-out blank from a cover or maybe from a bearing cage.

barry gibbons
08-05-2017, 11:43 AM
I found this in a Chilton's 54-63 manual' In the picture near the bolts number 21. Their is a part that above the bolts. If you zoom in it look like the part that i found but in pieces but it has no name or number. Do you know what it might be. Another item number 25 on the differential pinion is another possibility does any one know if the thrust washer is cone shape? I want to know before it's taken apart.
Just looking and turning the gears I see nothing wrong. If I can't fine what it is Is their a person that works on these rear end in the Huntsville Al. area.66053

what huh
08-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Phew,

That's a relief. Based on the title, I was afraid to open the thread - was imagining some gross thing found during colonoscopy

😳 HAHAHAHAHAHA that's awesome

52-fan
08-06-2017, 02:56 PM
The picture is so small that the part doesn't show up well. Enlarging it just blurs it.

Lynn
08-06-2017, 08:42 PM
An ear ring (worn by a person who dislikes you) dropped into the oil pan (via valve cover or oil spout) is a Voodoo spell (curse) that is designed to make your engine run poorly as long as you own the car!!:eek:

Treblig

In that case, it did not work. The engine is in one of my cars, and performs wonderfully.