PDA

View Full Version : Ignition: '63 Avanti-- no electrics; won't start, no lights

oberjim
07-24-2017, 05:52 PM
I have a '63 Avanti. Went to start it today and everything is dead. Battery is good-- I charged it overnight and did a battery test. No lights, no starter, no nothing.

Anyone have a good clue on what's going on before I get under the dash?

My guess-- bad ignition switch, or some kind of master relay needs to be reset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim Ober

rstrasser
07-24-2017, 06:30 PM
There is no master switch. You need to check the negative cable where it attaches to the engine. Then on to the positive cable. It first goes from the battery to the Starter Solenoid that is on the inside of the drivers side fender. From there to the ammeter From the other side of the ammeter to the fuse block which is under the left side of the dash board.
A loose connection anywhere before the fuse block and ignition switch will render the car dead.
You can try running a wire from the small terminal on the battery cable connection side of the solenoid to the positive post of the battery. Be advised; if there is a wire connected to the other small terminal the engine might start To prevent the engine from starting remove the wire from the other small terminal. If the engine cranks you will know that the wiring from the battery to the starter solenoid and from the negative terminal to the engine are good.

Ron

11SecAvanti
07-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Clean the negative black cable connection on both ends. Make sure a good tight metal to metal ground connection to the block. Clean the red battery cable on both ends. Make sure it is clean metal to metal connection on the end (at the solenoid bolt). Clean the grounding strap on the block to frame. Must be good connection and tight. No grease, dirt, corrosion or paint on any of these critical connections.

Did the lights come on???

bezhawk
07-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Also look at the neutral safety switch. You can also hook up a remote start switch to the starter solenoid, to bypass both the ignition switch, and the neutral safety switch. That will close in on the problem.

oberjim
07-24-2017, 08:00 PM
I found it! And thanks for the quick replies so far----

Following the wiring schematic, and found positive juice to the horn relay, but none to the hot line to the voltage regulator, it seemed like the Ammeter was the problem. Luckily, its at the bottom of the dash, so I found one of the connectors was loose. I tightened it up, and everything now works!
thanks, guys.