PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle: rear axle seal replacement

barry gibbons
07-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Reading the manual it says I need these tools to replace the seal in the rear end. HM 931 Axle puller, inner seal oil seal remover J 943 and Bearing cup replacer set J-270-1 and Disc. j 270-13. This is on a 1954 champion coupe
I need to know what other tools names will work to do the job or take it to a shop?
Thanks

r1lark
07-23-2017, 07:31 PM
There are three (3) different seals on the rear axle; the following assumes you are talking about the inner axle seals.

For the axle puller, a simple slide hammer can be used.....you may need to whip up an adapter using some scrap pipe and a couple of nuts. another alternate, after the hub/drum is loose on the taper, is to put the hub nut back on the axle a couple of turns and use the hub/drum as a 'slide hammer'. Inner seal remover - a normal seal remover can be used, or even a 'hook shaped piece on the end of a slide hammer; I've even dirt-balled it with a really big screwdriver and a hammer. Not sure what the bearing cup replacer does, probably to install the new seals. You can use a really big socket, or a large diameter dowel, or even a PVC plumbing fitting that is slightly smaller in diameter than the OD of the seal to drive them in - just make sure you drive them in evenly. When you reinstall the axle, you will need to tap in the bearing race, but a small ballpeen hammer can be used for this, just tap around in a circle until it's in against the roller bearing. For all of these items, as you can see, you can improvise.

Don't forget that you will need a proper rear hub/drum puller to get the hub/drum off without damage. You don't want to use too much improvising on the hub/drum removal, or you risk damaging the drum.

You should clean/inspect/repack the axle bearings while they are out, unless that has been done recently. Also, consider checking/adjusting the axle end play as described in the Shop Manual while you are reassembling everything.

Jeffry Cassel
07-24-2017, 12:23 PM
I've used a slide hammer and the official Studebaker tool and the former is probably easier. As above. Clean inspect and repack bearings. If in doubt, replace. Try to avoid a China-made bearing. They probably do know how to case harden steel but that technology is not for export. If you do try to adjust end play, don't get it too snug. Be sure the key is in correctly when you reinstall the hub & drum and you want the axle nut nice and snug.

barry gibbons
07-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Thanks got the axle out,now the center chunk

StudeRich
07-25-2017, 01:32 AM
"the center chunk" ???? :confused:

You do not need to disassemble the Differential if it is the Pinion Seal at the Front, behind the Input Yoke that you are looking to replace.

barry gibbons
07-25-2017, 07:50 AM
You are correct. I was pulling the back pan to replace the gasket and the yoke.