PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: No vacuum in stromberg ww auto choke housing

terryb
07-23-2017, 12:58 PM
I have been struggling to get the auto choke working on my 56 Power Hawk for months. Have been resetting the position of the thermo spring with little luck in getting the choke to move through its full range. Bought a new spring and still no luck. I notice that the choke housing never really heats up very much so I would guess the spring is not heating either. The heat tube from the manifold is clear. I recently learned that I should be getting some vacuum in the choke housing to pull the hot air up from the manifold. I am getting no vacuum that I can sense. Not sure what to do at this point. Any ideas?

r1lark
07-23-2017, 01:06 PM
I had this problem a couple of years ago on a WW that I installed on a 259. Finally pulled it off and found that the carb-to-manifold gasket did not have a hole in it to allow the manifold vacuum to reach the port in the base of the carb that was connected to the choke assembly. Thus, there was no vacuum to pull the hot air thru the choke assembly.

kmul221
07-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Try a electric choke,mine works great !

StudeRich
07-23-2017, 01:41 PM
The earlier 2 Brl. Carbs. used a Base Gasket with 2 round holes for the 2 throttles, the later ones like yours require the kidney shaped Gasket, I believe this is what Paul was talking about and Right On. :!:

The repair Kits include both Base Gaskets and another mid body Gasket for MoPar Cars, I toss them both.

Studebakercenteroforegon
07-23-2017, 02:13 PM
The base gasket must have the two notched features at the outside of the throttle bores. This creates the vacuum passage for the choke system. This applies to most WW Strombergs except the earlier versions.

altair
07-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Possible there is a blockage with debris this is what was in mine658556585665857This is about 20x magnification but the little tubes were full of this debris.

StudeRich
07-24-2017, 03:35 AM
Looks like that could be deteriorating non-Ethanol Resistant or very OLD Fuel Line or Fuel Filler Hose. :(

altair
07-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Just to clarify the carburetor is an AFB model 2840 in its previous life it was from a 1959 Buick 401. The unit was in very good condition and relatively clean, gaskets and accelerator pump was replaced. With hand priming the engine ran perfect with this carb, the choke system was a complete failure with no vacuum. After disassembly of the choke mechanism at least a gram of fine debris was removed. I am not sure where it came from because it was from an other application but it appears to be from the exhaust heater assembly. It was very small particulate like pepper, couldn't tell if it was metal or carbon or both.

terryb
07-26-2017, 11:51 AM
It was the gasket covering the vacuum ports. I had cut a new gasket to replace the old one and did not cut the slots on each side. I cut a new gasket with the required slots and now it is drawing a vacuum and moving the choke through full range. The lack of the slot would also have been effecting the vacuum advance on the distributor. I have had very little power from the engine and this might be the issue here as well. This has been a source of great frustration. Thanks so much for your help.

Studebakercenteroforegon
07-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Rather than cut a gasket- 1540006 base gasket for WW Strombergs is available from established Studebaker parts dealers. I always have them in stock, and would expect that other parts dealers would also.