PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle: rear drum removal 54 champion coupe

barry gibbons
07-22-2017, 03:19 PM
I have a 3 point drum puller (from lug bolt) I'm having a very hard time trying to turn the wench. The drum is not coming off. The drum does rotates easy around the shoes. Can I use impact tool on the puller. How dangerous is it when drum does come off?

rockne10
07-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Utilizing the proper puller you can apply an impact wrench, better yet opt for a BFH and don't be afraid of putting the hammer to the anvil. If you re-install the axle nut backwards a few threads (castellated end towards the car) when the hub finally releases it will prevent it from launching beyond the axle. Often you can apply maximum torque and find out it has released itself before the next day's breakfast.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDI0Mg==/z/u0QAAOSwPe1UC8zL/$_35.JPG?set_id=2

Noxnabaker
07-22-2017, 04:50 PM
It took me 4 days before mine came off, turned a bit day by day & knocked on the center nut.
I have a "plate" one with the holes drilled in like this pictured one, strong stuff!65814

1954khardtop
07-22-2017, 08:11 PM
I tighten the puller screw as tight as I can, then tap the end of the puller screw with a short handled sledge. Firm taps, letting the weight of the hammer do the work, not swinging as hard as I can. After a few taps I can usually turn the screw in a little more. Continue until it pops. Putting the axle nut on as Rockne10 says protects the end of the axle as well as preventing the hub from flying off.

barry gibbons
07-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Thanks
Got it off after a few hours. Tapping a little as a time. I did put the nut on for saftey

rockne10
07-23-2017, 03:22 PM
And remember when re-installing to keep the taper and hub clean and dry; NO lubricant or anti-seize at all.

tbredehoft
07-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Barry, for reporting your success.

dannyo
07-24-2017, 08:46 AM
here is a little story i went throw ,i use the right puller every time i pull drums, i have parted studebakers for 50 yrs, these tapered rear drums almost are a hard thing to get off, tightend the puller up hit it , left for 2 3 days on some no go, some come off in 10 min ,i have heated them some times that helps let it cool, some times not , had one a year a go , worst one i have ever had , i needed 2, 9'' drums for a person, did every thing for 3 days , so it was a 23 rear end no demond for those any way, i torched the axle houshing & axle , backing plate , the drums were very good , it took a 10 ton press to get the piece of the axle out , what a job .

fh4ever
07-24-2017, 01:39 PM
not sure if this makes much difference...homemade but same style puller as in post #3, I use the lug nuts to pull it instead of the center screw...pops it off quite well for me.