PDA

View Full Version : Steering M5 Ross TA steering box repair

48M5
07-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Bob Soper gave me an M5 steering box the other day. He recounted the tale of his decades long attempt to buy the M5 it was attached to, an apparently low mileage vehicle. During several visits the owner just couldn't let it go. After years of quiet frustration, Bob went back to visit the now elderly owner who finally told him, "Sure, you can have it now." It had been bulldozed into the back forty along with a bunch of other scrap metal from a logging business. The M was completely destroyed in the process. Bob sadly viewed the carcass but ever on watch for something salvageable, discovered the steering box essentially intact. He harvested it and now it will get back to work turning my after all those years in solitude.

The photos below show the worm gear to be in what looks like excellent original condition. Of course I'm way too young and inexperienced to have ever seen an OEM box so I'm reaching out to those of you who may have seen one of these new. What is the copper color on the gear for? The sector arm pins are remarkably visibly unworn, the bearings are tight with almost no discernible side movement or end play. The ball bearings and races are not pitted and the gearbox oil was moisture free.

Also the little pipe that protects the horn wire from the gear oil is broken off at the end plug. Is that assembly available as a replacement item?

Any comments on it's probable condition and how to assess wear on the worm gear would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/0aWcc

mbstude
07-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Those Ross boxes are dirt simple, but NOS worm gear and sector shafts are hard to find. The worm gear on yours looks really nice for a used one. If the pins on the sector shaft are still perfectly round and not worn, I'd put the box back together with new seals and not think about it again. :)

Ron Dame
07-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Watching.. No answers though.

bezhawk
07-23-2017, 12:46 PM
All Ross worm gears were copper plated for corrosion protection. Even Avanti Ross gears. If you replace any of the pitman shaft bushings, make sure the top oil hole is open.