• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Appreciation from AutoWeek

Chris Pile
    StudeFolk Manager
    Tiny, custom domain, branded, url shortener, edit URL redirect, tinylink
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Chris, don't know if you saw it or not, but in the past couple days, we've been discussing a Packard Hawk on eBay with a good many incorrect "enhancements" in its restoration. I was glad to see the article, at least until I read it. There's a lot of stuff there that's just plain WRONG!

"The first Hawk, nicknamed Hurley's Hawk, was originally designed to be the company president's private sports car. Hurley had been the successful president of the Curtiss-Wright Corp. Whether as a tax write-off, a whim or a favor to his friend Dwight Eisenhower, who didn't want a big-name corporate collapse, Hurley had assumed control of Packard in 1953. He continued Packard production in Detroit for three years while acquiring the flagging Studebaker Corp. in South Bend, Indiana. In 1957, Packard moved to Studebaker's facility."

Everything in that paragraph is wrong.

And then there's this:

"To restore Packard's reputation for quality, Hurley decided to use his custom-built two-door hardtop as a prototype of the '58 Hawk. Touted as the 'Family Sports Car,' the Hawk actually began production in January 1957."

Hurley proved in short order that he didn't give a rat's rear end about Packard ... or Studebaker. All he wanted was the tax credits Studebaker had built up, and that info has been out there since 1956. Hurley's personal car might've been built in January '57, but AFAIK, the Hawk didn't go into production until the rest of the '58s started, which would've been late summer '57 at the earliest.

Still not enough? How 'bout this:

"Hawk front hoods were among the first automotive uses of fiberglass."

Evidently this fellow conveniently forgot that the ENTIRE bodies of both the Corvette and Kaiser-Darrin were completely made of fiberglass ... four and three years before the Hawk, respectively. The little Woodill Wildfire -- again, a full fiberglass body -- was in there around that time period too, if not earlier. And, of course, Studebaker used fiberglass tailfins on the '56 Golden Hawk.

I wish I could find out where this guy got his (mis)information!!!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Chris, don't know if you saw it or not, but in the past couple days, we've been discussing a Packard Hawk on eBay with a good many incorrect "enhancements" in its restoration. I was glad to see the article, at least until I read it. There's a lot of stuff there that's just plain WRONG!

"The first Hawk, nicknamed Hurley's Hawk, was originally designed to be the company president's private sports car. Hurley had been the successful president of the Curtiss-Wright Corp. Whether as a tax write-off, a whim or a favor to his friend Dwight Eisenhower, who didn't want a big-name corporate collapse, Hurley had assumed control of Packard in 1953. He continued Packard production in Detroit for three years while acquiring the flagging Studebaker Corp. in South Bend, Indiana. In 1957, Packard moved to Studebaker's facility."

Everything in that paragraph is wrong.

And then there's this:

"To restore Packard's reputation for quality, Hurley decided to use his custom-built two-door hardtop as a prototype of the '58 Hawk. Touted as the 'Family Sports Car,' the Hawk actually began production in January 1957."

Hurley proved in short order that he didn't give a rat's rear end about Packard ... or Studebaker. All he wanted was the tax credits Studebaker had built up, and that info has been out there since 1956. Hurley's personal car might've been built in January '57, but AFAIK, the Hawk didn't go into production until the rest of the '58s started, which would've been late summer '57 at the earliest.

Still not enough? How 'bout this:

"Hawk front hoods were among the first automotive uses of fiberglass."

Evidently this fellow conveniently forgot that the ENTIRE bodies of both the Corvette and Kaiser-Darrin were completely made of fiberglass ... four and three years before the Hawk, respectively. The little Woodill Wildfire -- again, a full fiberglass body -- was in there around that time period too, if not earlier. And, of course, Studebaker used fiberglass tailfins on the '56 Golden Hawk.

I wish I could find out where this guy got his (mis)information!!!

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

Comment

So the story of Hurley asking to have a "one off" styled for him is a urban legend ? I'd read that was the story and the designer was shocked that it was put into production.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

So the story of Hurley asking to have a "one off" styled for him is a urban legend ? I'd read that was the story and the designer was shocked that it was put into production.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,839.60
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Dangit, John! ... sorry, I goofed. The Hurley one-off part is right. I gotta preview this stuff before I post. Keyboard gets ahead of brain sometimes. [B)]

Comment

Dangit, John! ... sorry, I goofed. The Hurley one-off part is right. I gotta preview this stuff before I post. Keyboard gets ahead of brain sometimes. [B)]

Comment

Actually the first Hawk, according to www.packardhawk.com was 58LS1001 and was built on 10/03/57 the last being 58LS1588 being built on 07/24/58....

Also, if anyone is interested , theres one on Craigslist in Colorodo up for sale for $16,000 ......

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Actually the first Hawk, according to www.packardhawk.com was 58LS1001 and was built on 10/03/57 the last being 58LS1588 being built on 07/24/58....

Also, if anyone is interested , theres one on Craigslist in Colorodo up for sale for $16,000 ......

Comment

On 01/18/08 at the Arizona Biltmore in Pheonix LOT#120 at this RM Auction sale is a 1958 Packard Hawk with an auction estimate of $50-75K. My spies are looking at the car today. Also I have found that their (RM's) auction estimates are rather accurate for whatever the reason. I have attended several of their sales in the last 10 years including the one at Hershey last fall and they are always an amazing event.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

On 01/18/08 at the Arizona Biltmore in Pheonix LOT#120 at this RM Auction sale is a 1958 Packard Hawk with an auction estimate of $50-75K. My spies are looking at the car today. Also I have found that their (RM's) auction estimates are rather accurate for whatever the reason. I have attended several of their sales in the last 10 years including the one at Hershey last fall and they are always an amazing event.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I you go to www.rmauctions.com click on arizona autions & do a search for Packard ,you will see the car thats going on the block..

Comment

I you go to www.rmauctions.com click on arizona autions & do a search for Packard ,you will see the car thats going on the block..

Comment

THAT SHOULD READ RMAUCTIONS WITH AN "S" AT THE END INSTEAD OF A "C"

Comment

THAT SHOULD READ RMAUCTIONS WITH AN "S" AT THE END INSTEAD OF A "C"

Comment

Working...
                              X