PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: Fuel Pumps, Fuel Pumps, Fuel Pumps for V8

GrumpyOne
07-21-2017, 12:22 AM
It seems that all that are available are the Airtex(s) masquerading as Carters..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-PUMP-STUDEBAKER-V8-President-Champ-Commander-Lark-Hawk-Golden-Silver-Hawk-/310978090829

Is this to good to be true??? Been looking for an original Carter to rebuild...

T.J. lavallee
07-21-2017, 03:26 PM
These Airtex's are troublesome. I went through two of them until I found a good one that's now currently on my Lark for over a year. I did send the units back both times and recieved replacements from Rock Auto but all this is not exactly re-assuring when you're trying to drive your Studebaker. You might try Studebaker Parts.Com or others at Studebaker Vendors.com. I have the original Carter that I'll be sending to Dave Thibeault for re-building. I believe he's the go to guy for this work.I hear he builds them to withstand the current levels of alcohol in today's fuels. Good luck in your search for an original Carter.

jclary
07-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Not that it will do any good, but it might be worth a try. I'll post a link below. I have personally had some great results contacting manufacturers directly regarding problems with their products. In two instances, major nationwide recalls were instigated.

http://www.airtexproducts.com/

GrumpyOne
07-22-2017, 12:30 AM
I'll be in New England in late September and I think that I'll pay a visit to Dave Thibeault who I know quite well. Maybe do some hoss trading as well...

Thanks guys!

Buzzard
07-22-2017, 01:30 PM
I found this when I opened a trunk at Chuck Naugles' in January this year.
65813 You had to open all trunks as Chuck had different items stored in each. Such as chrome trim, cylinder heads, carburetors etc. In fact if you looked up into the rafters in his shop, he had dashboards suspended and lined up between the roof supports-Dozens and dozens.
It was quite the site.
Bill

GrumpyOne
07-22-2017, 02:06 PM
65813 You had to open all trunks as Chuck had different items stored in each. Such as chrome trim, cylinder heads, carburetors etc. In fact if you looked up into the rafters in his shop, he had dashboards suspended and lined up between the roof supports-Dozens and dozens.
It was quite the site.
Bill

If I were younger, I would have been there. As an aside… up to about six years ago I had a small treasure trove that I eventually passed on to Barry in Houston. Just downsizing before the inevitable..

doofus
07-23-2017, 07:14 AM
TJ curious about your fuel pump trouble's. they simply wouldn't pump or what.i have discovered that more than once new fuel pumps need a dose of WD in the intake side to begin pumping action. curious about your experience. Doofus

thunderations
07-23-2017, 11:45 AM
You can buy a rebuild kit for almost any carb from "Then and Now Automotive". Very easy to understand instructions and the procedure was relatively easy. I had never rebuilt one before and it took a couple hours. All the components are compatible with today's fuel.

rkapteyn
07-23-2017, 12:08 PM
http://fairbornstudebaker.com/WP/

Robert Kapteyn

GrumpyOne
07-23-2017, 11:48 PM
http://fairbornstudebaker.com/WP/

Robert Kapteyn

Thanks for the reminder Bob… It seems that both, Fairborn and Dave Thibeault have lousy Web presence. But both are reliable sources. I'll probably go with Dave since I'll be nearby in September and it's time for a visit...

StudeRich
07-24-2017, 10:42 PM
It was quite the site.
Bill

That is a HUGE pile of all Airtex Type Stude. Fuel pumps, both 6 Cyl. and V8!
Chuck must have had a different stash of OEM Carter Pumps or already sold them. :ohmy:

BRUCESTUDE
07-24-2017, 10:57 PM
TJ curious about your fuel pump trouble's. they simply wouldn't pump or what.i have discovered that more than once new fuel pumps need a dose of WD in the intake side to begin pumping action. curious about your experience. Doofus
I know with mine, they always leaked oil at the pivot pin area....the last one I had really leaked quite badly after about 500 miles, and seeped gas from a bleed hole. My latest car I didn't even bother with a new one, I went for an electric Carter pump instead.