PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: generator

Jeffry Cassel
07-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Ceci's 62 Hawk had the original generator; since it worked I left it. ( If it ain't broke, don't fix it.) Well, it was ok for a year but not a lot of miles. Then it quit. No output at all. So I had one on the shelf that had worked before being shelved. It did not work. So ordered a rebuilt from O'reilly and my gearhead F-16 mechanic son decided to install it for me. It worked OK for one mile, then nothing. O'Reilly exchanged it and I installed it. Started car It Worked! Sun next Lincoln had a dead batt so jumped in Ceci's car, backed it out and ammeter goes to the center again . Went to church in it anyway garnering many compliments, but still no generator. Yesterday made appt with a mech who seems awfully good with electrical mysteries. Even with my extraordinarily bad luck with any type of replacement part, it seems improbable that all these generators could fail. Forgot to mention that the regulator was also replaced at some point in this saga. Didn't help, of course. Do I need the mechanic or a priest? Any one have a similair experience? Can not help feeling that there is some thing stupid I am overlooking.

christophe
07-19-2017, 11:43 AM
When you replace a generator, the first thing to do is to polarize it. If you hadn't, I'd start from there.
Here is some data.
Best of luck.

greyben
07-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Make sure all your wiring is correct at the generator and regulator.
Make sure all connections are clean and tight including the wire that goes to the ammeter and from ammeter to battery
Verify your generator is actually original. For '62 it should be a Prestolite (Autolite). Delco Remy style and Autolite style regulators are not interchangeable.
Most charging problems are regulator related. Even a new one can be bad. Generators usually function until the brushes wear down or a bearing seizes.
When polarizing a new generator follow instructions carefully. Even a short flash to the field connection can destroy a regulator.

altair
07-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Ensure the generator has a good ground to the engine bracket. I had a good working generator and took it off to paint it, reinstalled it and no output, scraped the paint off and presto.

Ron Dame
07-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Also be sure whether you have an A circuit or a B circuit generator AND matching regulator. Trust me, I had an Autolite that was supposed to be a B circuit, but was a mix of parts and was converted to an A circuit. It was hell figuring it out, but an A regulator fixed it. BTW, I bought a Clover Systems electronic regulator that you can put in your old regulator box so it looks stock. Granted, I blew it out while trying to figure out this mess, but even by being honest, they repaired it for free. Good folks.

Jeffry Cassel
07-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Could not find an Autolite any where so it is a Delco with a Delco regulator Don't think the wiring is different but will check that out. Great suggestion about ground; I'll scrape some paint off. Thanks for the tip on the regulator-did not know one was available.

Joshua Skinner
07-19-2017, 11:08 PM
The second generator I would have put on the car would have been an alternator.

Bud
07-20-2017, 08:38 AM
I have reason to believe that the generator on my 62 Hawk is the original. I have put brushes in it a couple of times in the 42 years I have owned it along with 2 or 3 regulators. As far as I'm concerned the Autolite/Prestolite generator is a good part and very reliable as I've had to replace very few on the cars I've maintained over the years. The regulator can be a problem and the new stock replacements are suspect at best. I found a couple of NOS regulators on EBAY that were manufactured for Rambler as they also used the GJP 7402 generator on some of their cars. I would bet that your generator is good and the problem will be found with either the wiring or the regulator. Please keep in mind that parts from Prestolite and Delco are NOT interchangeable. A Delco regulator will not work with a Prestolite generator. Bud

jackb
07-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Agree with Bud here.... having "heard" of Prestolite distributor problems (and not had problems myself), I'd forward that the Autolite & Delco generator/regulator set ups are fairly bullet-proof. I'm currently running a Rambler numbered Delco regulator with sporadic performance, and I now lean towards wiring issues. I've swapped in alternators for missing generators over the years (Delco 1-wire rebuilds) only to find them to be noisy and erratic..... but the price was right....

az64stude
07-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Start engine disconnect battery is the engine still running? Also check wiring to ignition switch you may have a loose connection.

altair
07-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Some generators used a third ground wire direct to the regulator, I think this is a good idea in any case.