Identifying V8 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying V8 Engine

I'm considering the purchase of a Studebaker V8 listed on craigslist. Unfortunately, it's too far for away for me to inspect it.

Based on the location of the oil filter, it looks to be a full-flow block.

The seller tells me the casting # is 1554641 and the engine number is V581072.

I checked http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp and didn't find a match for this engine number.

Am I reading the web page incorrectly or possibly seller mis-reported the engine number?

-- Scott

Click image for larger version

Name:	00Y0Y_1ffm9PXhuCa_1200x900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1755362
    64 Avanti R1 R5529

The "V" would be a 259" motor. "P" is 289"
    It is an addiction!

Comment

The engine serial number should make it a 1963, 259cu" Lark engine, which would have a full flow block. Unless the seller is declaring it to be something other then that, I don't know why you doubt what it is. Remember, the number shown on the published, engine sequence chart is the starting number for that year, and no ending number shown for 1963.

Comment

Thanks Hallabutt, for clarifying "the number shown on the published, engine sequence chart is the starting number for that year".

-- Scott

Today, 12:57 PM
        Hallabutt
        Today, 12:57 PM

Hallabutt
        64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

PCV set up suggests 61+ V8

Comment

Looks to be very clean compared to many I've seen over the years. Only thing I can see missing is alternator tension arm. Isn't caked with grease and grime from years of having had oil leaks and from pictured angle looks like driver's side valve has factory black over spray. I'd swing it in as is and take a chance. That is if it isn't over priced.
            Just my humble input,
            Kim

Comment

Could be a "Junkyard" Engine, since all the hoses are Cut, or NOT.
              But it is very complete right down to the Converter Housing, (probably Torque Converter) and
              Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic Trans.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a Studebaker engine with supercharger bur I can't find the numbers anywhere the engine casting number 4 and below 554641, the serial number PJ03990. The head casting number 535976 on a 57 golden hawk comp rate 7.5:1 a supercharged head. Anyone?

Comment

Hello Scott, Welcome the the SDC and to the SDC Forum!

Your Engine Serial Number is: P105990 it is a 1963 Lark/Hawk 289 Engine Block, it should be a Full Flow (Oil Filter) Engine which would be your First clue that it is not a "PS" Supercharged Golden Hawk Engine, however there is No Major difference.

The Heads are correct Low Comp. Truck and GH From Same, if not heavily Milled/Machined.

But the Piston Top would be the Other Compression determining factor: Stock Dished, or Avanti Half Dished or Flat Top, you would need to know what was used in the "Rebuild/Replacement".

The Casting Number may be poorly Cast, but is supposed to be 1554641, but would be the SAME on all V8 Blocks from that Era.

I am sure the TOP of your Engine looks a Lot different than a Stock GH because it does not have the Oil Filler Pipe that goes Under the McCullough S/C and the Partial Flow Oil Filter behind the Carb. & Carb. Box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	57 Blue and Wht.8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	1919227Someone Bi-passed the Climatizer Heater and Defroster System on this one with a horrible looking Red jumper Hose.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 11-05-2021, 04:36 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Scott,

Regarding post #8: Studebaker serial numbers used Arabic numerals except for the number 1,where they used a Roman numeral I instead. If the stamp was not perfectly perpendicular to the serial number pad, the resulting number might appear incomplete or difficult to read. That's why I looks like a J on your block.
                    Last edited by Mark L; 11-06-2021, 01:45 PM.
                    Mark L

Comment

Are we getting Scott (post #1) and Zolt (post #8) mixed up here?
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good call Dick, amazingly the Original Poster and Today's Golden Hawk owner happen to Both be Scott's!

That might be important for others to note, but so far it has not been a problem, I and Mark are able to discern from Zolt's 3 Pics "Some" of what is going on with HIS Golden Hawk.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Engine serial number decoding here: https://studebakerdriversclub.com/wp...tification.pdf
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

No, not confused. My post #10 was in response to post #8. I edited my post #10 to make that clear for future readers.
                            Mark L

Comment

Thank you Mark. I just received the build sheet and: P103990.

Comment

Working...
                              X