Gauge Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Gauge Removal

Thank you to all who have been helping me with my 62 GT.
    I have another question. Do the gauges come through the back of the dash or do they come out the front and how are they released?
    Jimmy
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Out the front. Remove the nuts from the retaining clamp/bridge in back and they'll slide out the front. Just like any aftermarket gauge.

Comment

The smaller gauges do not have direct lighting. They are mounted into a rectangular box so a light bulb can be place between them. The gauges themselves have slots behind the face so the light can illuminate the face. The gauges have studs on the back side of the housing that pass through the light boxes. The electrical connection posts also pass through the light boxes, but they are electrically isolated so they don;t short out with nylon bushings through the box.
      Make sure they are not missing or broken. Otherwise you will have a direct short circuit when you put them back together.
      Yes, you remove all the screws behind the gauge, and the gauge pushes out the front of the dash. The larger gauges have a metal "U" shaped bridge that holds them to the dash. if you have a tach, they are also electrically isolated with plastic bushings.
      Last edited by bezhawk; 07-19-2017, 01:28 PM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks again for helping me understand what I am seeing.
        Someone has said that some brand of aftermarket gauges will fit in the same spots.
        Does anyone know what brand this is?

Jimmie
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana
        1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
          Thanks again for helping me understand what I am seeing.
          Someone has said that some brand of aftermarket gauges will fit in the same spots.
          Does anyone know what brand this is?

Jimmie
          Most of them. The small gauges are typical 2 1/16" and the big ones are 3 3/8". The stock gauges are Stewart Warner, they currently have some gauges available that look really close to the factory gauges but with simpler pointer/needles.

Comment

Put a full set of Stewart Warner Wings style gauges in wifes 57 Silver hawk. look very nice and all function well. also look very much like stockers and most importantly wife likes them! Luck Doofus

Comment

Speedway has a nice selection of gauges. I am considering the wings style myself. Not 100% original, but they look nice. They also come in a white faced version.http://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/g...alQuery=gauges
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

The Stewart Warner "Deluxe" series looks pretty close to the original gauges, but without the fancy needles on the speedo, tach and clock. Here's the tach: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...BoCjN0QAvD_BwE

Comment

Working...
                X