PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: 1950 Champion Transmission - Engine Braking?

Toms 50 Champion
07-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Have 1950 Champion with Overdrive. Pull handle cable for OD inoperative, but OD works fine on "automatically" engaging and disengaging. Problem is going down steep hill in first or second, engine braking does not seem to happen, car basically acts as if it's coasting downhill in neutral. Does not have engine braking (due to compression). Engine has been recently rebuilt and in great condition. Wonder if I need to replace the cable to have it not in "automatic" mode? Haven't found a replacement cable. I doubt if engine does not have decent compression. Any ideas?

rstrasser
07-17-2017, 02:02 PM
If the pull cable for the overdrive is inoperative; and the car is always in overdrive. Any time the car is under 30 miles MPH or so the car will be in free wheeling. Hence no engine breaking. You need to repair the cable in order to lock out the overdrive; so that the car does not freewheel under 30 MPH.
Ron

showbizkid
07-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Welcome, Tom. We're glad you're here!

I've moved your post to Tech Talk - please be sure you post in the right board in order to get the best visibility for your questions. Thanks!

StudeRich
07-17-2017, 02:55 PM
If you are travelling in 2nd. or 3rd. Overdrive and you encounter a downgrade, you floor the accelerator which will downshift to DIRECT Drive, before releasing the Pedal, you pull the Cable OUT locking it in direct, and it will have good deceleration.

That is of course if the kickdown switch is operating and wired correctly, and after you have replaced the O.D. Cable.

You SHOULD have good deceleration above 30-32 MPH however at all times.

By the way, WELCOME to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Tom! :)

kxet
07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
I noticed on Studebaker International online catalog has OD cable and sheath listed as two parts, thought I needed them but managed to adjust mine. Be nice if it was a complete assembly. Had trouble before getting cable into sheath but new stuff should be fine.

Hallabutt
07-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Just as Rich indicates, always amused when I think about some of the emergency situations that would require it's rapid deployment!

kxet
07-19-2017, 08:52 AM
You might want tie it back( out of OD) if your driving it until you get the proper cable. Mechanics wire will do. Then it should be just like a std.3 speed.

RadioRoy
07-19-2017, 03:30 PM
You might want tie it back( out of OD) if your driving it until you get the proper cable. Mechanics wire will do. Then it should be just like a std.3 speed.

Yes, but... it will still have a 4:55 rear axle ratio, so the engine will be screaming on the highway. Sometimes folks who are unfamiliar with older cars do not realize that the top speed obtained is not cruising speed - the car cannot maintain that speed for very long. The best thing to do is to fix the cable, understand how to use the over drive, and actually use the overdrive.

Blackhawk posted overdrive instructions in this post. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?101863-Over-drive