PDA

View Full Version : Body: 1964 Lark Type Rear Window Adjustment

bjackameit
07-17-2017, 11:52 AM
O.K. -- I just changed a bad window regulator in the left rear door of my 1964 Wagonaire and with the stop bolt at the farthest adjustment it leaves about 1" of glass above the top of the door.

The rear window on the other side was going all the way down -- but is it supposed to?

I pulled the door panel off the right side and low and behold the stop bolt was missing which allowed the window to go all the way down -- but the bottom of the regulator mechanism hits the inside of the door with the stop bolt out.

So -- which is correct (I want to set them the same) -- keep the stop bolt in which will allow about 1" (or more if I want) of glass to show when the rear windows are down, or remove the stop bolt on both sides which will allow the windows to go down all the way but which might not be a good idea -- since the bottom of the regulator hits the side of the door with the stop bolt out (so the side of the door is actually serving as the stop).

If showing about 1" or so (or whatever) of the glass with the window down is correct I want to have it that way even though it looks better with the window down all the way.

Bill Jackameit

jackb
07-17-2017, 04:53 PM
the stop should have a rubber snubber on it subdue impacts and vibration. the side of the door (metal) will transfer the body movement to the window regulator and likely create a noise you won't like, or possibly a cracked glass.... of interest, besides the "look".... will (can) a rear occupant sit in the back seat and rest their arm out the window opening for "feel" & comfort ?
Will you ever be in the back seat ?

StudeRich
07-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Right, and will you EVER open the rear windows ALL the way?

I would bet 50 to 60% of the 4 Doors had their Rear Windows all the way down never, or under 10 times in their 53 years!

Mike Sal
07-17-2017, 10:41 PM
During the 80's & 90's, when my kids were growing up, our daily driver was a '50 champ sedan. Those back windows were down a lot in the summer time.....