PDA

View Full Version : 65 Cruiser Saved From The Crusher

abkco
07-15-2017, 03:07 PM
6562265623I bought this car for parts at a local auction back in December. I just couldn't part it out after looking at the body and engine. After two trips to the Chuck Naugle ranch sales earlier this year to find hundreds of great parts, my son and I started to put it back together.6562065621

Milaca
07-15-2017, 03:10 PM
It looks great! Nice job!

abkco
07-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Will from Starlight Studebaker had a beautiful dark red interior for this car. I couldn't believe how nice it was after all these years. It took days to clean out all of the junk and mess in the car and trunk.

abkco
07-15-2017, 03:19 PM
Stephan Allen's had a bunch of parts that I couldn't find anywhere else. Thank you Matt. And Carl from C and B had great advice.

abkco
07-15-2017, 03:31 PM
I'm no expert mechanic, but this car was pretty easy to dissemble and put back together. I know it's not worth much, but it was a priceless experience to spend time with my youngest son.

62champ
07-15-2017, 05:37 PM
50 years from now your youngest will be driving this car to antique car shows and be able to tell the story of how he and you found it and put it all back together...great job!

StudeRich
07-15-2017, 05:45 PM
That's not a repair or restoration, THAT"S a Resurrection! Beautiful Job. :!:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65621&d=1500149074

Just get a correct curved UP then Down tailpipe like this:

65643 PLEASE!

Milaca
07-15-2017, 06:50 PM
I'm even more impressed now after seeing the interior and engine compartment! I would guess that you are looking for another Studebaker project to fix up now? Like eating potato chips, you cant stop with just one.

SN-60
07-15-2017, 06:59 PM
VERY nice job and GREAT STORY! :):!:

acolds
07-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Amazing what a lot of work can accomplish looks great. I agree on the correct tail pipe being old enough to remember how original exhaust system were when cars were new I dislike any non stock style on restoration or even replacement pipe no matter what brand of car just my view. Your car your choice. What you do with your father or son will last a long time as a good time and enjoyable time.

spokejr
07-15-2017, 08:46 PM
WOW!

The tan interior may have been handsome back when it was new but the red is striking! Much better colour against the root beer brown. You and your son were a busy pair of beavers and it shows.

Bullet
07-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Beautiful work!! Did you get a new dash, restore yours or get a replacement?

Just beautiful!

Mark

StudeNewby
07-15-2017, 09:05 PM
That is just stunning! Even better was the father and son time, I'm sure. Well done.

57pack
07-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Beautiful job! And was done quickly! Unlike my projects. Where did you find the dash board? And is the rest of your new interior from Starlight?

BobPalma
07-16-2017, 06:11 AM
:!!: Wow! Not only is it gorgeous, but it seems like only yesterday we were looking at the "before" photos. Beautiful job; congratulations. :!: :) BP

mbstude
07-16-2017, 06:33 AM
Holy cow.. Not many people can do that nice of a job in such a short amount of time. The color combo you went with makes for one very pretty Cruiser.

And thanks for buying parts from us, we appreciate it.

jclary
07-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Great work! Also, great to have that kind of father-son project many of us never experienced. My father departed this earth in 1978 (cancer), and we were never able to share that kind of experience. Cherish it.

Also, I'll add to the other's who are impressed by the progress you made in such a short time! By comparison, it reveals how I have allowed my (retirement) time to become so complicated with obligations that keep pushing my Studebaker project into the background. Regardless of your car being a four door sedan, I think we are fast approaching the time that ANY STUDEBAKER, not just the two doors, coupes, convertibles, etc...are becoming HEAD TURNERS, at cruise-in's and car shows. Yours qualifies.:!:

abkco
07-16-2017, 08:51 AM
I tried saving the original dash, but it was pretty brittle and cracked when I tried to remove it. I ended up buying a green dash from SI, dyed it and the rest of the pieces red, and glued it on the frame. It was hard to get everything to line up, but it looks pretty good.

Beautiful work!! Did you get a new dash, restore yours or get a replacement?

Just beautiful!

Mark

abkco
07-16-2017, 08:57 AM
When I called Starlight, I was limited to what he had in my configuration. He did not have a Cruiser set of Gold and tan. With my split bench seats, the only choice I had was the red. I wasn't sure how red interior and brown exterior would look together. I don't believe I have seen that color combination before. I was very happy to see that the red had some burgundy in it. My Bermuda brown has a shot of violet in it.

Beautiful job! And was done quickly! Unlike my projects. Where did you find the dash board? And is the rest of your new interior from Starlight?

junior
07-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Wow, amazing transformation...this must of taken tons of elbow grease to get this job done in such a short amout of time! I see nothing wrong with that exhaust pipe...other than it needs a matching one on the driver's side....lol. Enjoy the car. cheers, junior

Steve T
07-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Wonderful. Love the before-and-afters from similar angles. And the story reminds me of the George Strait song "The Best Day"...except in the song the car's a Corvette...

I'm only half joking when I say "want to do the same thing with a '62 Lark?" Depending whether the current body-repairs plan works out or not, I'd very nearly give ol' Betty to someone who would revive her as you've done with this Cruiser. She deserves it. Enjoy driving and driving and driving the Cruiser...I have a hunch she'll be a trusty old ride. You'd swear a Stude actually appreciates not being given up on.

Bit off topic, you don't happen to know the Cruiser's build date, do you?

S.

wittsend
09-09-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure why this slipped by me as I had great interest in the project. My brother lives in Orangevale and I had considered going up to view and potentially bid on the car. WOW, it came out great. Congratulations to you and your son. I remember how astonished we all were at the rate this project moved forward. I'm glad I recognized your screen name from another post, clicked on it and called up your Forum posts. Scrolled down a few and found this. Who knows, maybe some day I'll be up there and see it going down the road. :)

61LaRk4dr
09-09-2017, 01:33 PM
Excellent job! Always been partial to the Land Cruiser/Cruiser line that Studebaker made. I also appreciate you taking a car that would otherwise met a terrible fate and restored her to her original glory. You exemplify what the future of this hobby is all about: working alongside the younger generation to cultivate interest in this marque. If there is a culture that needs saving it would be the American love affair with the automobile. I hope to one day have a project to share with my son, but for now he needs to be a little older. Again, very nice work and thank you for sharing!

ndynis
09-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Amazing job in such short time. How lucky to be able to do it with you son.
Nick

lumpy
09-09-2017, 10:04 PM
What a great job! something to be very proud of. I remember looking at the auction pics of the car and thinking about driving up to get it for a parts car for my 59 lark, as I was hunting for chevybaker mounts and a saginaw steering box + a trans X member. This is something you and your boy can be very proud of:!!:...still looking for original chevybaker mounts if someone has a set:rolleyes:

T.J. lavallee
09-10-2017, 05:48 PM
You and your son have created a highly desirable Studebaker. Although I'm partial to the first edition Lark, I've always figured Studebaker did a great job with such a limited budget on this design. After looking at yours I'm sure of it. Bravo!

showbizkid
09-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Congratulations on a beautiful restoration!

JRoberts
09-11-2017, 06:55 AM
As others have already said this project turned out magnificently. The father/son aspect makes it even better. I think you will love that Cruiser. I have a '65 Cruiser and it was not exactly what I was looking for but a family member had purchased the car new and I decided to keep it in the family. I really am glad I got it.

52-fan
09-11-2017, 08:05 AM
That parts car is very nice. :)

abkco
09-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement through this project. This forum and strong part suppliers are keeping Studebakers on the road. I am still shocked at how well preserved this car was after sitting nearly 40 years.

SScopelli
09-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Excellent job! Hopefully see it in May 2018 at La Palma.

55coupe
09-13-2017, 11:43 AM
If you are not to far from Sacramento come and join us next Sunday 9/17 karelstaplesdc@yahoo.com. Check our calendar.

GTCruiser
09-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Just a beautiful job!

Scott
09-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Please buy my 1966 Cruiser. You could work miracles with it. I've got the AC dash unit, too. PLUS the car is in southern Oregon!

jclary
09-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Please buy my 1966 Cruiser. You could work miracles with it. I've got the AC dash unit, too. PLUS the car is in southern Oregon!

Scott, why not tell us more about your Cruiser. Are you done with it? Can't afford a restoration? Or just needing to move on? To give it the attention it deserves, why not start a new thread, with pictures & details. Who knows, you might even stumble upon a neighbor who could give it new life. Or, there might just be that one person willing to ship it across the country to give it a new home. I don't think anyone would object. Post away!:)

Of course, I know you might not be serious, the car looks good in the pic. But, one never knows how to take some posts.;)

abkco
09-14-2017, 07:19 PM
Who would've guessed that a chevy powered studebaker 4 door would get this love? I'll have to take some more pictures of it on the road.

Scott
09-14-2017, 07:22 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but here is my thread that covers everything pretty well. I don't have a place to park the car under cover anymore and I need to move on. No-one local is interested. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?100261-1966-Cruiser-for-sale-(Oregon)

TWChamp
12-28-2017, 11:05 PM
Man, that is one beautiful restoration. Thanks for saving another Studebaker. I think you really hit the mark on the color choice for the interior.

Stude Shoo-wop!
12-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Even though this is probably the most pedestrian and boring of any Studebaker out there, I must commend both father and son for a job well done! May you have plenty of adventure (and not as much avarice) with her!

57studesilverhawk
12-29-2017, 01:39 PM
You are to be congratulated, a very nice job, and to top it all off father son time, We all need to do more of that, and it would help the STUDEBAKER DRIVERS CLUB. I hope you both have many years of enjoyment from it, My hawk took awhile to be steady on the road after getting it going from the junk yard, but now Its a real fun car on the road. The more you drive it the better it will be. I like your combination of Red inside and Brown exterior.