PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Size of Bolt for Crankshaft - 1959 Lark V8

GrumpyOne
07-15-2017, 12:47 AM
In need to get a socket for the crank bolt as this engine will be going into the '55 prez sedan.

TIA

doofus
07-15-2017, 06:20 AM
Yuo will need a 1 1/2 in 6 point socket. they are common and most flaps and hardware stores carry them(in water heater supplies), FLAPS usually have to order them Luck Doofus

64V-K7
07-15-2017, 09:35 AM
After sourcing one, you may want to grind that radius off the face, so it fits flat against the plate on the damper. Makes it stay put nicely, while you're trying to break it loose...

bezhawk
07-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Be sure to unfold the french lock, (sheet metal locking tab), before trying to fit a socket on the head of the bolt/

GrumpyOne
07-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Thanks all for the info as that dimension is what I (sorta) measured but became confused by the chassis manual that ended with the 1958 model year and where various sizes in the 2+ inch range are indicated but that must be the bolt length.

It seems that as you get older, some simple things tend to become complicated. An inch and a half it is!

altair
07-16-2017, 01:13 PM
I purchased this at a local auto parts store, it is a 3/4 drive and had to buy a 3/4 to 1/2 drive reducer.6565765658656596566065657

wwundt
07-19-2017, 09:14 AM
The socket to remove a HOT WATER HEATER element is the correct 1-1/2 inch size and already has the FLAT FACE that fits flat against the plate on the damper. Buy the hot water heater socket at Home Depot.

JoeHall
07-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Then too, if the car has AC, there is a strong possibility the bolt head will not be same size (1 1/2"). The ones for cars with AC tend to be smaller and, of course, the french lock Bez mentioned is of no use. It is critical that the bolt not come loose though. It happened to me once, on a GT Hawk with AC. It allowed the crank to shift back and forth about .100", which caused a knock under certain conditions that sounded like main bearings. The 56Js do not have a locking provision, i.e. french lock, so I always use red Lock-Tite and torque it a little extra. Same with 259/289 with smaller screw heads for AC.

I have a 3/4" drive socket set with breaker bar I use for that bolt on Studes. I'd be a little leery of the 1/2" drive adapter's ability to take the torque. If it gives even a tiny bit during tightening, it gives a false read on the torque applied. Maybe Snap-On or Craftsman could take it, but I do not own many of those.

jpepper
07-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Just an addition to the bolt information, It is 11/16 - 16 UN thread. This is an old standard isze that is not used today. I still have a tap for this that I got from Regal-Beloit. If you need a tap you may be able to still find one. External threads can be cut/cleaned up on a lathe.

GrumpyOne
07-19-2017, 02:16 PM
I'm all set.. The bolt will be loosened Saturday with the help of an impact wrench. Hopefully by the end of next week the engine will be disassembled with the exception of the pistons/rods which will remain in the block as I replaced the original rings with Studebaker chrome rings. The cylinder walls show little wear and the ring gap was well within specifications. The reason for the tear down... 1. replace the crank with NOS and a general check over since the engine has set for several years subsequent to the ring replacement. I also will be replacing rod bearings with old stock American made.

Again, thanks for all of the responses!

R_David
08-25-2018, 07:40 PM
Yuo will need a 1 1/2 in 6 point socket. they are common and most flaps and hardware stores carry them(in water heater supplies), FLAPS usually have to order them Luck Doofus

This is why I LOVE THIS FORUM! I was at home depot looking for a 1 1/2 inch socket and they didn't have one. So while I was standing in the tool section I logged into the forum on my phone and did a search to see what others people did. And I found doofus recommendation. I walked over to the hot water heater section and BOOM! Found it for $5! Thanks Doofus!! I already tried it and it works great!

StudeRich
08-25-2018, 08:08 PM
What? For $5.00? I hope that is not what it appears to be, a thin sheet metal Socket for a Low Torque Water Heater fitting, not capable of 140 Ft. Lbs. of Torque.

This could be a case of CASO NOT working, without injuries!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65660&d=1500225135&thumb=1 This hardened Steel one looks like it is up to the Challenge!

DieselJim
08-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Bought my 1 1/2 in impact 1/2 in drive from Mac Tool years ago.

R_David
08-25-2018, 08:50 PM
What? For $5.00? I hope that is not what it appears to be, a thin sheet metal Socket for a Low Torque Water Heater fitting, not capable of 140 Ft. Lbs. of Torque.

This could be a case of CASO NOT working, without injuries!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65660&d=1500225135&thumb=1 This hardened Steel one looks like it is up to the Challenge!

Thats exactly what it is! But then again, my only use for it was to rotate the crankshaft to TDC on cylinder number one. Which it worked great for!