X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Champion . . . is it a good buy?

quote:Originally posted by cabrina

Hi everyone,
    Searched through the related Stude threads and Anne's story of getting their wrecked one back on the road. Couldn't find much info to help me make a decision.
    My friend at work saw one at a used car dealership in Nashville. Went out last night to look at it. Since it was after dark, even though it was in a garage, I couldn't see much. Couldn't feel much either (front fenders and rockers) so that is good! Guy made some excuse and wouldn't start it up. I think he lives in the back and didn't want to bother backing it out of garage or put up with the fumes all night. Left him my card and a lower offer than asking price.
    If he calls me back what things do I need to look out for on this model. Auto, 4 dr., straight six, vinyl flooring so I'm assuming its the lowest trim level but how can I tell, and a curved dash which looks to me to be late in the model year.
    My bulletnose has the small six but overdrive. Would this car labor too much being automatic?
    The additional 15 cubic inches in a '55 make quite a bit of difference. It isn't going to be fast, but with the first-gear start, it isn't too bad.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Hi everyone,
    Searched through the related Stude threads and Anne's story of getting their wrecked one back on the road. Couldn't find much info to help me make a decision.
    My friend at work saw one at a used car dealership in Nashville. Went out last night to look at it. Since it was after dark, even though it was in a garage, I couldn't see much. Couldn't feel much either (front fenders and rockers) so that is good! Guy made some excuse and wouldn't start it up. I think he lives in the back and didn't want to bother backing it out of garage or put up with the fumes all night. Left him my card and a lower offer than asking price.
    If he calls me back what things do I need to look out for on this model. Auto, 4 dr., straight six, vinyl flooring so I'm assuming its the lowest trim level but how can I tell, and a curved dash which looks to me to be late in the model year.
    My bulletnose has the small six but overdrive. Would this car labor too much being automatic?
    The additional 15 cubic inches in a '55 make quite a bit of difference. It isn't going to be fast, but with the first-gear start, it isn't too bad.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    Museum R-4 engine
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

1955 Champion . . . is it a good buy?

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
      Cabrina Dieters
      1950 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Thanks, Paul. Dealer did call me back and is willing to take the lower offer. I reminded him that it is contingent on smooth running engine, good transmission and proper brakes so I would really appreciate any advice on this model. Dealer seemed to think it had power steering, power brakes also. Where are these boosters located? The reason I ask he also thought it was a 4 cylinder. Even I could count 6 plug wires. Had SDC paperwork in the glove box for Harry Rothman. Anyone know this car?

Thanks,
        Cabrina

Comment

Thanks, Paul. Dealer did call me back and is willing to take the lower offer. I reminded him that it is contingent on smooth running engine, good transmission and proper brakes so I would really appreciate any advice on this model. Dealer seemed to think it had power steering, power brakes also. Where are these boosters located? The reason I ask he also thought it was a 4 cylinder. Even I could count 6 plug wires. Had SDC paperwork in the glove box for Harry Rothman. Anyone know this car?

Thanks,
          Cabrina

Comment

The booster would be under the hood on the driver's side, but I seriously doubt that it has either pb or ps, especially being a Deluxe.

Museum R-4 engine

Comment

The booster would be under the hood on the driver's side, but I seriously doubt that it has either pb or ps, especially being a Deluxe.

Museum R-4 engine

Comment

It's hard for me to tell you if you got a buy or not without knowing what you are paying nor seeing the car.

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54664,75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,839.60
                63 Lark 2 door
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

It's hard for me to tell you if you got a buy or not without knowing what you are paying nor seeing the car.

JDP/Maryland
                  63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                  spent to date $54664,75
                  64 R2 GT (Sid)
                  spent to date $62,839.60
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks Paul and JDP. I really doubt it has power steering or power brakes either especially since it has vinyl floor mats. Wish I had some pics to show. $5200 down from $6195 so I doubt they'll go much lower but I wouldn't go any higher either since the rusty bulletnose is my emotional baby. Bright work and paint looked sharp but have not seen it in the day light. 1955 year I was born. Interior nice but I can tell it's got one weak spring on the drivers side seat. Did see on one of the other threads that the back ashtray handle tends to break off on that model. Have to check that it is good.

Comment

Thanks Paul and JDP. I really doubt it has power steering or power brakes either especially since it has vinyl floor mats. Wish I had some pics to show. $5200 down from $6195 so I doubt they'll go much lower but I wouldn't go any higher either since the rusty bulletnose is my emotional baby. Bright work and paint looked sharp but have not seen it in the day light. 1955 year I was born. Interior nice but I can tell it's got one weak spring on the drivers side seat. Did see on one of the other threads that the back ashtray handle tends to break off on that model. Have to check that it is good.

Comment

My feeling - without knowing any more than you've told us - is that $5200 is WAY too much - good ash tray handle or not.

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My feeling - without knowing any more than you've told us - is that $5200 is WAY too much - good ash tray handle or not.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OK, just note this comment is purely based on market value and not a knock in general to any Studebaker, but...
                            The simple fact is that 4 doors are the least valued, sixes less then eights, AT's, less then overdrives, so you can see where this is going. For over 5K, the car better be a shinning example to be in that ball park at that price.
                            If it needs, paint, interior or chrome to be say a "five footer", it's not a bargain in my opinion, but without pictures, I can't comment further. If the car just speaks to you, buy it, you won't have paid too much, just bought it too early. Wait a few years and you may be right side up on the deal. BTW, be aware that many dealers price their cars way above market so you'll jump at getting a "bargain".
                            Many years ago I recall a dealer that would offer old cars at 2-3 times market value, say a $2000 car for 5K. Those that knew the values would ignore his ad's, but occasionally he'd snag a newbie by accepting a offer of half the asking price. The buyer thought he got a bargain, and seller still got over book. I'd bet a beer that you'd go home with that 5 million dollar Mustang if you rolled in with 2 million in cash for example.

JDP/Maryland
                            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                            spent to date $54664,75
                            64 R2 GT (Sid)
                            spent to date $62,839.60
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            51 Commander
                            39 Coupe express
                            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

OK, just note this comment is purely based on market value and not a knock in general to any Studebaker, but...
                              The simple fact is that 4 doors are the least valued, sixes less then eights, AT's, less then overdrives, so you can see where this is going. For over 5K, the car better be a shinning example to be in that ball park at that price.
                              If it needs, paint, interior or chrome to be say a "five footer", it's not a bargain in my opinion, but without pictures, I can't comment further. If the car just speaks to you, buy it, you won't have paid too much, just bought it too early. Wait a few years and you may be right side up on the deal. BTW, be aware that many dealers price their cars way above market so you'll jump at getting a "bargain".
                              Many years ago I recall a dealer that would offer old cars at 2-3 times market value, say a $2000 car for 5K. Those that knew the values would ignore his ad's, but occasionally he'd snag a newbie by accepting a offer of half the asking price. The buyer thought he got a bargain, and seller still got over book. I'd bet a beer that you'd go home with that 5 million dollar Mustang if you rolled in with 2 million in cash for example.

JDP/Maryland
                              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                              spent to date $54664,75
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,839.60
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...