PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know this '56 Golden Hawk?

colt45sa
07-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know anything about the '56 Golden Hawk, green and white, shown for sale in the Gateway facility in Tampa? :confused::confused::confused:

DieselJim
07-14-2017, 09:40 PM
How about some kind of a link.

riversidevw
07-14-2017, 09:54 PM
It's on the Gateway inventory list. It's been listed on eBay as a classified ad for several weeks. If I had access to the real VIN I could search the production orders. But that wouldn't help much with the current condition or recent history. Pretty car. But the VIN on the eBay listing is pure gibberish. For what it's worth, Gateway's positive rating on eBay is 77.4%. Just quoting without comment.

Seems to me that a credible serial number was posted on eBay some weeks back. Very odd.(EDIT) But see my post #7 below. It might have been the photo I saw earlier, not the description in the listing.

http://gatewayclassiccars.com/tampa/1956/studebaker/golden-hawk-S933.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-/162518930345?hash=item25d6e213a9:g:O7gAAOSwcB5ZMOQ5&vxp=mtr

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-/162518930345?hash=item25d6e213a9:g:O7gAAOSwcB5ZMOQ5&vxp=mtr)

64studeavanti
07-14-2017, 10:52 PM
This in my backyard, about 15 minutes from my house. If any one would like me to check it out, i will be happy to oblige.

Dwain G.
07-14-2017, 11:33 PM
Scroll down to the 100+ photos, there's one of the serial number and another of the body tag. Was a rare car as originally built.

colt45sa
07-15-2017, 10:57 AM
It's on the Gateway inventory list. It's been listed on eBay as a classified ad for several weeks. If I had access to the real VIN I could search the production orders. But that wouldn't help much with the current condition or recent history. Pretty car. But the VIN on the eBay listing is pure gibberish. For what it's worth, Gateway's positive rating on eBay is 77.4%. Just quoting without comment.

Seems to me that a credible serial number was posted on eBay some weeks back. Very odd.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-/162518930345?hash=item25d6e213a9:g:O7gAAOSwcB5ZMOQ5&vxp=mtr

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-/162518930345?hash=item25d6e213a9:g:O7gAAOSwcB5ZMOQ5&vxp=mtr)
The 77.4% positive feedback speaks volumes. With all you enthusiasts out there, someone must know the actual owner and a bit about the car~! Isn't there a 56J registry which could help match up the VIN with an owner~?

riversidevw
07-15-2017, 11:03 AM
As a matter of fact, yes. From the photo of the serial plate, that # was listed for a Jean Thompson Aldrich in Florida. That's not always current information. Production order indicates that the 3 speed/OD car was shipped to a community in NY state in August '56. Car was all black.

It's possible that I spotted the photo of the serial # on the eBay listing (classified ad) when it first appeared, rather than the info printed in the ad.

Gil

JoeHall
07-15-2017, 11:13 AM
I have noticed a lot of black 56Js get repainted some other color. But I believe they are beautiful in black. I recently saw a now red & white one that was originally red & black. I can understand that switch a lot more, red & black just does not appeal to me, but red & white really, "pops".

The subject car here could not be restored today, for the current asking price. A person can buy a fixer-upper for $5000-$10,000, then maybe $30,000 and five years later, have a car like this one is now. That is, assuming the resto is all that it appears to be. TO say the least, it has a very nice paint job. Just once in my lifetime, I'd like to have a 56J as nice as this one, but it probably won't happen.Anyway, after a few years under my care, it would look like any other driven Stude :)

colt45sa
07-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Seems to me that a credible serial number was posted on eBay some weeks back. Very odd.(EDIT) But see my post #7 below. It might have been the photo I saw earlier, not the description in the listing.

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-/162518930345?hash=item25d6e213a9:g:O7gAAOSwcB5ZMOQ5&vxp=mtr) The VIN as shown on the VIN palte in the door jam is 6033257. Do you know the car~?

JoeHall
07-15-2017, 11:37 AM
The 77.4% positive feedback speaks volumes. With all you enthusiasts out there, someone must know the actual owner and a bit about the car~! Isn't there a 56J registry which could help match up the VIN with an owner~?

Looking at the detailed remarks in the past six months' negative feedback for the ebay seller, I would not bid on this car under any circumstances.

SN-60
07-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Looks to me to be a nice one!....The standard shift is a TREMENDOUS plus in one of these!....Truly a shame it's not equipped with power steering though. :(

studegary
07-15-2017, 09:02 PM
As a matter of fact, yes. From the photo of the serial plate, that # was listed for a Jean Thompson Aldrich in Florida. That's not always current information. Production order indicates that the 3 speed/OD car was shipped to a community in NY state in August '56. Car was all black.

It's possible that I spotted the photo of the serial # on the eBay listing (classified ad) when it first appeared, rather than the info printed in the ad.

Gil

Where in NYS was it shipped to. I knew of (and worked on) two black ones in this area. At least one had a very rusty start in Westchester County (I did mechanical and body work on that one.). The other was a drag racer in its early life (I replaced its throw-out bearing). If I knew it to be one of these two, I could probably give more information.
Besides these black '56 GHs, my '57 GH was all black.

SN-60
07-16-2017, 08:00 AM
It really goes from one extreme to the other with those 56J's....from the "don't push on the throttle pedal too hard" Twin-Ultramatic version, to the bulletproof, "let's DECK this baby" T-85 /OD model!!

It's too bad Studebaker didn't produce more R3 engines, and also more STICK O/D 1956 GOLDEN HAWKS!!!!! :woot: :!!:

SN-60
07-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Wondered if there was/is a '56 Golden at that 'Hackenberger auction'? :confused:

riversidevw
07-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Where in NYS was it shipped to. I knew of (and worked on) two black ones in this area. At least one had a very rusty start in Westchester County (I did mechanical and body work on that one.). The other was a drag racer in its early life (I replaced its throw-out bearing). If I knew it to be one of these two, I could probably give more information.
Besides these black '56 GHs, my '57 GH was all black.

This black 56J was shipped by truck to Tomkinsville NY. Would seem odd for somebody to select a rust bucket for a quality restoration like this, but stranger things have happened.

My first Golden Hawk (in mid-sixties) was also an all black '57. In southern CA.

riversidevw
07-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Wondered if there was/is a '56 Golden at that 'Hackenberger auction'? :confused:

Well, yes. Tough to even look at after the Florida car.

Here's the whole photo roster for when you have time. There's at least one Golden Hawk, one Speedster, a Sky Hawk somewhere in there. Quite salvageable (with time and a fortune to spend).

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auctions_pictures.php?detail=205

SN-60
07-16-2017, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=JoeHall;1064320]I have noticed a lot of black 56Js get repainted some other color. But I believe they are beautiful in black.

Joe, I'll bet the postwar Studebaker model which received color changes more frequently than ANY other, (back in the day), were the Hialeah Green/Sun Valley Yellow '55 President Speedsters!

Owners 'ran away' from that combo, as it really didn't 'age' well:eek:.....Of course today most of the surviving 'color change' Speedsters have been 'brought back' to their original colors! :!:

riversidevw
07-16-2017, 01:43 PM
By the way, a knowledgeable 56J contributor suspects this same car was shown at the 1994 national meet. If so, would indicate a well maintained older restoration.

Gil

riversidevw
07-16-2017, 02:11 PM
"Joe, I'll bet the postwar Studebaker model which received color changes more frequently than ANY other, (back in the day), were the Hialeah Green/Sun Valley Yellow '55 President Speedsters!

Owners 'ran away' from that combo, as it really didn't 'age' well:eek:.....Of course today most of the surviving 'color change' Speedsters have been 'brought back' to their original colors! :!:"

Tastes in colors and opinions of subsequent owners are fickle. I came close to buying an all black Speedster just before finding that black Golden Hawk. Turned out the Speedster was a respray job, under the hood and in the trunk was still Pimlico Gray. One reason I skipped it.

JoeHall
07-16-2017, 02:38 PM
I have found all the original colors to be beautiful, if still fresh looking, or re-done. I once had a sunglow & snowcap white 56J, and almost chose another color when restoring it. After the paint flashed, I never regretted. It was most down right stunning in the night, say in a lighted parking lot. Till then, I thought I'd never want a sunglow 56J. I appreciate the lemon & lime Speedsters, but perhaps a little to loud for me. Talk about an attention getter!

riversidevw
07-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Another one!

Here's a color pairing I haven't seen in a long while. Snowcap White and Cambridge Gray. One of the combos for which the rather generic white vinyl/charcoal cloth seats with black carpet would really look right.

Seems to have an extra digit in the serial #.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/studebaker/golden-hawk/1962893.html

Gil

Edit: Just might be 6031629, which was shipped to Bridgeport, was originally the present color scheme.

Just verified, seller provided photo of serial plate and original sales invoice. Purchased on February 15, 1956 for $4093.75.

Steve T
07-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Going to try to find a shot of what glided into York a few years back...was for sale at around $60K and in the estimation of one of the Hamilton Chapter guys present at that time, was worth every dime...

Yep, found it. March, 2010. Can't imagine anyone not wanting these hues on this car. Loud? Yeah. Wonderfully.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/StudeSteve/SDC%20York%20Swap%20Meet%20March%202010/K2D33B4714_1000167.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/StudeSteve/media/SDC%20York%20Swap%20Meet%20March%202010/K2D33B4714_1000167.jpg.html)

S.

riversidevw
07-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Sorry, Steve. Photobucket has struck again.

studegary
07-16-2017, 07:42 PM
This black 56J was shipped by truck to Tomkinsville NY. Would seem odd for somebody to select a rust bucket for a quality restoration like this, but stranger things have happened.

My first Golden Hawk (in mid-sixties) was also an all black '57. In southern CA.

I believe that Tomkinsville is much further north in NYS (without looking it up), so it is probably not one that I was thinking of unless it was a dealer swap when new.

My '57 GH was the original all black for the nine years that I owned it. The next owner turned it into all white.

studegary
07-16-2017, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=JoeHall;1064320]I have noticed a lot of black 56Js get repainted some other color. But I believe they are beautiful in black.

Joe, I'll bet the postwar Studebaker model which received color changes more frequently than ANY other, (back in the day), were the Hialeah Green/Sun Valley Yellow '55 President Speedsters!

Owners 'ran away' from that combo, as it really didn't 'age' well:eek:.....Of course today most of the surviving 'color change' Speedsters have been 'brought back' to their original colors! :!:

My 1955 Speedster was a "Neopolitan ice cream" tri-color. The most recent owner, that I know of, changed it to all black.

riversidevw
07-16-2017, 08:10 PM
I believe that Tomkinsville is much further north in NYS (without looking it up), so it is probably not one that I was thinking of unless it was a dealer swap when new.

My '57 GH was the original all black for the nine years that I owned it. The next owner turned it into all white.

No accounting for taste (or lapses thereof).

Gil

SN-60
07-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Another one!

Here's a color pairing I haven't seen in a long while. Snowcap White and Cambridge Gray. One of the combos for which the rather generic white vinyl/charcoal cloth seats with black carpet would really look right.

Seems to have an extra digit in the serial #.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/studebaker/golden-hawk/1962893.html

Gil

Edit: Just might be 6031629, which was shipped to Bridgeport, was originally the present color scheme.

Just verified, seller provided photo of serial plate and original sales invoice. Purchased on February 15, 1956 for $4093.75.

Thanks for posting this Gil,...my first 56J was this same color combo! (Snowcap/Cambridge) However, after I owned it for awhile I repainted it Snowcap/Sunglow. (serial# 6030610)....Stick O/D, P/S! :)

redbox
07-17-2017, 06:17 AM
I once had a sunglow & snowcap white 56J, and almost chose another color when restoring it. After the paint flashed, I never regretted.

Joe, is that the one i now have? I am going to sell it. Ran out of room and too many cars to take care of.

JoeHall
07-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Joe, is that the one i now have? I am going to sell it. Ran out of room and too many cars to take care of.

Yes, that is the one. It was sold new in NM, and belonged to an Air Force pilot from the 1960s till 1980s when he died as a retired Colonel, in NC. I bought it in 2001 off the guy who bought it from the Colonel's estate sale in mid 1980s; he and his brother had done several things toward a restoration, i.e. had removed all sheet metal and had it dipped, and rebuilt the motor. I finished it around 2005, then drove it about 41,000 miles before I sold it around 2010.

For looks, I stayed with correct paint color and scheme, and Phantom correct seat covers and carpet.

I tried to set it up to be one of the best 56J drivers in existence: Removed the body from the frame and did the, "dirty work"; installed PS from another 56J; a TH400 transmission in combo with the 2.53, AMC rear end, that I also installed Moser flanged axles in. The electric windows from NuRelics work great, as does the AC, with heater element included in the evaporator. I installed a custom made, Sirocco style, double pass, aluminum radiator, and a Corvette, 7-blade clutch fan. It has huge, 12" front disc brakes, with new 6" steel wheels, and steel valve stems, to run OEM hubcaps; HD front and rear anti-swaybars; correct HD (Stude part #526125) front springs for 56J made by Coil Spring Specialties; new HD rear springs from SASCO. I coated the insides of all panels with Por15, then RinoLiner to keep out road noise, etc..

I stopped counting at 2000 labor hours, and more money than I care to remember. I hope it goes to someone who can appreciate it for what it is, a real nice driver.

S2Deluxe
07-17-2017, 04:38 PM

All C or K bodies are beautiful in black! Most now are already over or rapidly approaching 60 years of age. In areas that get snow on the roads during the winter months, especially if salt is used, they see very little use during those periods. During those periods when it's warmer out and they are left parked in the sunshine with the windows up, it can be quite unpleasant to have to get in. Especially if someone is wearing shorts and some black upholstery materials are also used on the seats! Rolling the windows down and waiting does help but that does take awhile. Air conditioning will cool a hot interior much more quickly and it was an option at least for the "57 - '58 Golden Hawks, possibly '56s also but I'm not so sure of that. Examples of those that were actually equipped with it from the factory are scarcer than the proverbial hens teeth! It is certainly possible to add non factory AC, but the additional expense on top of the cost of a repaint is enough to persuade many (CASO)s to go for the color change!

Mark

riversidevw
07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=SN-60;1064589]

All C or K bodies are beautiful in black! Most now are already over or rapidly approaching 60 years of age. In areas that get snow on the roads during the winter months, especially if salt is used, they see very little use during those periods. During those periods when it's warmer out and they are left parked in the sunshine with the windows up, it can be quite unpleasant to have to get in. Especially if someone is wearing shorts and some black upholstery materials are also used on the seats! Rolling the windows down and waiting does help but that does take awhile. Air conditioning will cool a hot interior much more quickly and it was an option at least for the "57 - '58 Golden Hawks, possibly '56s also but I'm not so sure of that. Examples of those that were actually equipped with it from the factory are scarcer than the proverbial hens teeth! It is certainly possible to add non factory AC, but the additional expense on top of the cost of a repaint is enough to persuade many (CASO)s to go for the color change!

Mark

I'd be inclined to invest in a pair of long trousers and perhaps a temporary cloth seat cover:).

Admittedly, black takes more time and effort to maintain appearance. Rather suspect that enters the equation for some.

studegary
07-17-2017, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=SN-60;1064589]

Mark

I have not known of a 1957 or 1958 Golden Hawk with factory air conditioning. I checked the Salesman's Data Book for each year. For 1957, it was not available (for any Hawk). For 1958, the large, ugly underdash unit was an option (not the rear mounted unit used in sedans) (for all Hawks, including Packard Hawk).

studegary
07-17-2017, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=S2Deluxe;1064796]

I'd be inclined to invest in a pair of long trousers and perhaps a temporary cloth seat cover:).

Admittedly, black takes more time and effort to maintain appearance. Rather suspect that enters the equation for some.

When I sold cars, people would ask if the leather seats were hot to sit on in shorts. I told them that I don't drive cars in shorts.

I like a dark color on cars, particularly black. I also agree that they look nice when clean, but are hard to keep really clean. I remember cleaning the exterior of my black Avanti three times before judging (on the day of judging) at an SDC International Meet (got a First Place). Every time I buy a new black car, I say, never again. Not so much choice/control with a used car. My two current everyday cars are Deep Cranberry and Dark Emerald Green.

S2Deluxe
07-23-2017, 02:12 PM
When I sold cars, people would ask if the leather seats were hot to sit on in shorts. I told them that I don't drive cars in shorts.

Sometimes, on hot summer afternoons, it's nice to have the option available.

I like a dark color on cars, particularly black. My two current everyday cars are Deep Cranberry and Dark Emerald Green.

Those are certainly very attractive colors, I also find dark colors very appealing! I imagine your "current everyday cars" are also air conditioned? The car that planted the seed, for my love of Studebaker, in me. Was a '57 Silver Hawk that belonged to my folks until I was about 10 years old. I'm not sure of the name of the black that was available in 1957? It was either Velvet Black or Midnight Black and that is on the production order copy I have around somewhere! It also had black vinyl around the outsides of the seats and almost No one had AC in those days! I have Vivid childhood memories of getting into that car after it had been parked and locked, sitting in the sunshine with the windows up. So, I don't find it particularly surprising that, over the years, several have been repainted in lighter colors!

Mark