Looking to buy 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy 1950 Champion

I am new to this site and am excited. For years I have wanted a 1950 Champion. Had in mind making it a sleeper. Want to keep it mostly Studebaker though. What are recommendations for motor, trans etc. Also, want to upgrade suspension and brakes. Basically looking for advice. Still putting together the funds but should have enough in the next year. Thanks in advance.

Welcome Steven to the SDC and to the SDC Forum!

I searched 6 Pages of "1950 Champion" Post Searches trying to find an exact post from another member where we gave him all the in and outs of trying to upgrade a '50 that was not built for a V8 to Stude. V8 Power, instead of the 1951 Commander that was a V8 and has a much better designed Suspension and Steering.

Obviously I had no luck finding it or I would have posted the Link, it could have been in the "Tech. Talk" Forum.

UPDATE: Later, I did however find this interesting one:
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The '51 and up suspensions have drum to disc brake conversion kits available. I don't think there is one for the '50s.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Might hear some fussing from some of our purist friends but I have upgraded my 51 Studebaker but left it looking original. I haven't received any death threats, most of the people in this club are supportive of whatever you do with your car. Here are a couple of pictures of mine. GM 5.3 Vortec/4L60E trans. I'm mostly happy with what I did but if I could do it over, I would not do power windows and power door locks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BudPics 020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1715579 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec09 009.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1715580 Click image for larger version

Name:	march 002.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1715581 Click image for larger version

Name:	FauxRadio.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1715582 Click image for larger version

Name:	CAMPic.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1715583
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Weakest link in a '50 champ is the brakes....only 9 inches....followed by an idler arm that is nearly impossible to find when yours is worn out (The suspension on a '50 champ is like any GM product of the 60's.....a center drag link connected to a pitman arm on the conventional (non studebaker) steering box and an idler arm (51 & newer studes don't have idler arms. If you are familiar with other brands of car suspensions, it will look familiar to you (unlike the 51 & newer stude system).
          Mike Sal

Comment

Money and imagination can make a lot of things work.
            50 Champion's have had different front clips joined to the frame to allow for V8's and include updated suspension and brakes.
            Some have replaced the entire frame with a Chevy S 10 or similar full frame vehicle.
            Mustang II type of front suspensions are available for Studebakers and are very popular with the hot rod community.
            I'm not promoting any of these, just throwing out some ideas.
            I have plans to put a 50 Champion body on a 64 Studebaker 4 door frame, (both 113" wheelbase) and another onto a S 10 frame, (117" wheel base that will be shortened to 113").
            Good luck with your project.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Beautiful car. Love the color.

Comment

Working...
              X