PDA

View Full Version : Speedo/Tach/Gauges Turn signal fix

Jimmie
07-13-2017, 03:20 PM
The turn signal lever on my 62 GT doesn't always work. Sometimes the lever has to be held down or held up to get the lights to flash on and off. Right now it hardly works at all. I am getting ready to try to take the steering wheel off so I can try to figure out what is wrong. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:)

Paul Keller
07-13-2017, 04:32 PM
My '63 had same problem - Although there are many possible causes, here is something that worked for me.

After removing the steering wheel, you will see a "brownish" thin fiber insulator laying on top of the switch. After removing the insulator, no more prob's. (I replaced the insul' before reinstalling the wheel - Same problem - So the insul' was removed again and left off for the last several years). I don't recall if the lever needs to also removed - It has been awhile.
It is an easy fix and can be changed back if desired just as easily.

Good Luck, Paul TK

Jimmie
07-13-2017, 09:07 PM
I took the steering wheel off and took the mechanism out that seems to be part of the horn system. There was a small bolt that ran down through a white plastic piece (PART OF THE TURN SIGNAL SYSTEM) and the lever fell off. I put the bolt back through the plastic and tightened it and now the lever stays in place better. However, I still have to move it around to make it start blinking. Not sure if I need to go deeper or what. I did thank God that the steering wheel was easier to get off than my 50 when I worked it over.

Corvanti
07-13-2017, 09:22 PM
sounds like the electrical contacts may be dirty or worn. might try a contact cleaner such as CRC Electronic Cleaner - available at your FLAPS - as a cheap, fast and easy step before tearing into it farther.:)

mbstude
07-13-2017, 10:13 PM
I took the steering wheel off and took the mechanism out that seems to be part of the horn system. There was a small bolt that ran down through a white plastic piece (PART OF THE TURN SIGNAL SYSTEM) and the lever fell off. I put the bolt back through the plastic and tightened it and now the lever stays in place better. However, I still have to move it around to make it start blinking. Not sure if I need to go deeper or what. I did thank God that the steering wheel was easier to get off than my 50 when I worked it over.

That plastic piece is your turn signal switch. NOS ones are available if yours is worn out.

Commander Eddie
07-14-2017, 10:57 AM
There is a turn signal cancel cam currently listed on eBay. Does this look like yours?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STUDEBAKER-TURN-SIGNAL-CANCEL-CAM-1961-66-800478/172599679936?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649