PDA

View Full Version : Tired of people running up on my tail to "see what it is"

64V19816
07-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Yes I know its curiosity and WHY did Studebaker put its nameplate behind the bumper guard. BUT this 70mph approach from the rear is terrifying!!

Mrs K Corbin
07-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Well, just give it to me and I'll take over that Headache! :!:

jclary
07-12-2017, 08:43 AM
Well...there are several solutions. Perhaps none are preferred, but nonetheless, will alleviate the problem. You could just not drive it, move the bumper guards, or slap a big sign on the trunk.;)

I'm not annoyed by curiosity, but more concerned about the idiot texting on his/her phone while charging from the rear at over 70mph!:eek::oops::QQ:

swvalcon
07-12-2017, 08:47 AM
I like the big sign idea. Maybe a banner with streamers.

Jeffry Cassel
07-12-2017, 08:54 AM
I really do hate those myopic, millenial , texting twits!

warrlaw1
07-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Going through the drive-thru and trying desperately to hear what the voice on the speaker is trying to say....... and some guy gets in my window trying to ask questions about the car. I try not to be rude, but I'm hungry!

Bordeaux Daytona
07-12-2017, 09:41 AM
There used to be some aftermarket plate frames with Studebaker on them or maybe get a bumper or window decal/sticker made that says, "It's a Studebaker!"
I used to think people were too close to me at lights but then I realized it's the rear view mirror in the Daytona and got used to it.

sals54
07-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Yes I know its curiosity and WHY did Studebaker put its nameplate behind the bumper guard. BUT this 70mph approach from the rear is terrifying!!

I suppose it depends on what you're driving. Maybe you need a little more power? Add a supercharger? Twin turbos? Make him earn the privilege to read that name plate. If he's too close at 70 mph, perhaps a little jaunt up to 130 will change his mind.

T.J. lavallee
07-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Jeeeze...if you don't want all of the attention replace your Studebaker with something common to most people...something built in the last 15 years. That way neither the young or the old will give a damn what you're driving!

RadioRoy
07-12-2017, 11:34 AM
This whole thread is cracking me up! :)

candbstudebakers
07-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Just show him you brake lights little at a time.

Buzzard
07-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Drive a Camry, you'll never be bothered again.
Bill

packard352
07-12-2017, 12:34 PM
You guys are Stateside.... imagine what a pain it is in the UK!

StudeRich
07-12-2017, 12:37 PM

I am scratching my Head trying to figure out WHAT Stude. would have Bumper Guards in front of a Nameplate?

A 1951 with Bumper Over Riders? :confused:

65525 Most are pretty easy to see, Guards and all. 65526

JoeHall
07-12-2017, 12:44 PM
The first few thousand times of raising the hood, per admirers' requests, was fun. But somewhere along the line it became bothersome. Then too, some folks are so caught up in their admiration, they lose sight of the fact they may be annoying. I have had folks actually pull alongside and ask me to pull over and raise the hood, so they can see or take pix of the 56J's motor. I usually try to accommodate, but often feel like saying: "Leave me alone, I am trying to get to work." Or maybe a simple, "Get a life." But I never have said any of those things.

I was rude once in the 1980s, when I had a 56J on the road as a rolling project. It was missing about half its paint, chrome removed, etc.. While sitting at a light, a girl beside me mouthed (so I could read her lips), "Your car looks like s--t." I mouthed back, 'f--- you". She then looked straight ahead and drove away. LOL

Mike Sal
07-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Maybe she just had a speech impediment & was really saying "Your car looks right sweet!".......

warrlaw1
07-12-2017, 02:08 PM
LOL. Most people ask "What kind of car is that?" "Who makes those?" It never fails that every time I pass a wino they yell "Studebaker!".

studeclunker
07-12-2017, 02:52 PM
About six years ago (when Bess was actually running and stopping) I would get this a lot at the controlled traffic stops on Buckhorn summit (hwy 299). People would get out of their cars and run forward to look and call back to their car, "I don't know, it only says Parkview!" I would lean out the window and tell them it's a Studebaker. Once I get the old girl back on the road, my plan is to get the Studebaker script from S.I. and put it on the tailgate. Yeah, yeah, I know not year specific, however the other motorists will likely appreciate it. Funny how Studebaker seemed to be somewhat ashamed of their name at that time...

I haven't ever had anyone want to see under Bess' hood. Frankly I'd likely consider it rather rude. Something akin to asking for a look at my underwear...:o

jts359
07-12-2017, 04:04 PM
The closer you get, The slower I go !

Noxnabaker
07-12-2017, 06:41 PM
As Josephine is standing without engine I drive my -69 Citroen AMI6 (goole...) & on autobahn from Holland to Sweden last week I got seriously angry when they actually slowed down to look when I was about to overtake!
I'm having that a lot usually; seeing them in the mirror & then it suddenly takes a while untill they actually passses me cuz they're so amazed that such an old car actually worx to drive even if it's a clowdy day & in normal speed...

8E45E
07-12-2017, 07:16 PM
As Josephine is standing without engine I drive my -69 Citroen AMI6 (goole...) & on autobahn from Holland to Sweden last week I got seriously angry when they actually slowed down to look when I was doing 130 km/h & was about to overtake!
I'm having that a lot usually; seeing them in the mirror & then it suddenly takes a while untill they actually passses me cuz they're so amazed that such an old car actually worx to drive even if it's a clowdy day & in normal speed...

And here in North America............ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqNl7tdLR4

Craig

70Avanti2
07-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Reminds me of a story from the 70's. PO of a r2 hawk got passed by a Corvette. Being a former dirt tracker he didnt like it. So he put the Hawk right on the Corvettes rear and put his face against the windshield. Scared the guy when he looked in the rear view mirror.

Corvanti
07-12-2017, 07:49 PM
i've had that problem, especially with the '40 Champion. didn't really mind it unless they got too close. i installed turn signals with a emergency flasher. turning on the flasher backed them off. in the Avanti, i'd just floor it.:D

Milaca
07-12-2017, 10:02 PM
I don't have any of these problems, perhaps I am too busy ignoring people. ;)

Sdude
07-14-2017, 07:13 PM
65605 get a truck. They can read the name from afar.

jclary
07-14-2017, 07:42 PM
I don't have any of these problems, perhaps I am too busy ignoring people. ;)

My vote for the best response!:D:!::)