PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Studebaker Bell Housing Adapter

tsenecal
07-11-2017, 12:02 AM
Was cruising around, looking at Studebaker parts, and came across this. It looks like it will enable the use of a more modern transmission, for people wanting to do that. A bit pricey, but it costs a fair amount to try to build one also. http://www.jegs.com/p/Quick-Time-Bellhousing/Quick-Time-Studebaker-Engine-Adapter-Bellhousing/2834609/10002/-1

Alan
07-11-2017, 12:12 AM
That pic. at Jegs does not look like a 6075 QT. The bolt pattern is for a 6 speed and there is no Stude motor mount on it.

rusty nut garage
07-11-2017, 12:45 PM
with that large of a hole in the bellhousing how does the transmission center to pilot bearing?

PackardV8
07-11-2017, 03:35 PM
with that large of a hole in the bellhousing how does the transmission center to pilot bearing?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVclpHjy3FaPwGh92hZ5ZorhGvjxx-Uh_V0bP6gpjkOuAsWRxy

The T56 does not use a cast iron front bearing flange to center the transmission to the bell housing. Modern aluminum castings and CNC machining is accurate enough. The nose of the input shaft goes into the pilot bearing as usual.

jack vines

52-fan
07-11-2017, 03:43 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVclpHjy3FaPwGh92hZ5ZorhGvjxx-Uh_V0bP6gpjkOuAsWRxy

The T56 does not use a cast iron front bearing flange to center the transmission to the bell housing. Modern aluminum castings and CNC machining is accurate enough. The nose of the input shaft goes into the pilot bearing as usual.

jack vines

What about all the other transmissions it fits?

rusty nut garage
07-11-2017, 04:03 PM

jack vines
Ok, that makes sense. That's what I get for working on all this old stuff lol.
Next question is how we now dial indicate this bellhousing adapter to the block. or do we assume all the stude blocks have tight enough tolerance and the reason we dial indicate the studes is the variances in the stude stock bellhousings.

PackardV8
07-11-2017, 06:36 PM
What about all the other transmissions it fits?

No way any one bell fits both the T56 (as shown) and the others listed.

jack vines

foggydogg
07-13-2017, 12:18 AM
Since this idea is somewhere on page 2 of my list I looked into bellhousings a while ago, the Holley website makes things slightly clearer; sure would like to hear from somebody who has handled the actual artifact.

https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/bellhousings/bellhousings/parts/RM-6075

https://eb9239d2b3c1bda1d53d-6b4eb896915f5ae433f1eefb2b932a4d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/sprm-6075_1.jpg

bezhawk
07-13-2017, 09:56 AM
I have put the QuickTime bell housing on a Studebaker. I used a Ken Evans permanent magnet mini starter, and a Fidanza aluminum flywheel, and a Centerforce dual friction clutch. The bell housing I got did not have a bubble cover over the area where the starter drive engages the flywheel ring gear. The starter gear did not have proper clearence with the ring gear. It was a product of the bell housing starter bolt holes being off. I reamed them out to fit, and used the front dust cover to center the starter nose. With the remaining bolts of the dust cover, there is no problems. The clutch fork of the throwout bearing is Chevy style, and can be difficult to use the Studebaker clutch linkage to actuate it. I recommend a hydraulic setup of some sort. There are several types to use there. They are set up for a Chevy transmission bolt pattern, so buy a Chevy pattern transmission, and there are no adapters needed. An adapter pilot bearing that has the correct dimensions, is available aftermarket through places like Trans-dapt, and B&M.

PackardV8
07-13-2017, 10:37 AM
I have put the QuickTime bell housing on a Studebaker. I used a Ken Evans permanent magnet mini starter, and a Fidanza aluminum flywheel, and a Centerforce dual friction clutch. The bell housing I got did not have a bubble cover over the area where the starter drive engages the flywheel ring gear. The starter gear did not have proper clearence with the ring gear. It was a product of the bell housing starter bolt holes being off. I reamed them out to fit, and used the front dust cover to center the starter nose. With the remaining bolts of the dust cover, there is no problems. The clutch fork of the throwout bearing is Chevy style, and can be difficult to use the Studebaker clutch linkage to actuate it. I recommend a hydraulic setup of some sort. There are several types to use there. They are set up for a Chevy transmission bolt pattern, so buy a Chevy pattern transmission, and there are no adapters needed. An adapter pilot bearing that has the correct dimensions, is available aftermarket through places like Trans-dapt, and B&M.

For those considering the above conversion, do you have a round-number total cost of bell housing, flywheel, clutch, starter, throwout bearing, hydraulics, pilot bearing and misc machine work required?

jack vines

bezhawk
07-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Without labor budget over 5K including the transmission, which is better than 1/2 that

Alan
07-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Bez, I bought one of the first QT 6075's. The starter was one of the problems I had too. I used a gear on the end of my Hitachi mini starter that was .050" smaller at the root than recommended by Lakewood and it work just fine. If you go to the Racing Stude web site, then git into Performance Studes on page 13 you will find an article called SFI approved Bell housings. That will tell you more than you want to know about this subject.

bezhawk
07-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Alan, I do read the racing site even if I don't comment on it much. I was hoping the one I bought would have been sorted out. But I am capable of more than one way around a problem. Sometimes I even use multiple fixes to the same problem!!!:eek::lol:
(sometimes on purpose)