• More Studebaker plant news

Robert Kapteyn

Thanks Bob. That's great news.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I don't ever recall that particular building as ever being 'abandoned' as per the headline, which is no doubt why its being extensively renovated. Every time I was in South Bend, its always been occupied, and maintained, probably right from when Studebaker vacated it in 1963. Parts of it may have been up for lease from time to time, but no way did it ever fall to disrepair.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        I don't ever recall that particular building as ever being 'abandoned' as per the headline, which is no doubt why its being extensively renovated. Every time I was in South Bend, its always been occupied, and maintained, probably right from when Studebaker vacated it in 1963. Parts of it may have been up for lease from time to time, but no way did it ever fall to disrepair.

Craig
        You're absolutely correct Craig. Today's media does seem to tend to embellish and/or exaggerate details to make the story more interesting. My major concern is that the media often does not verify its facts. An example of this can be found on Wikipedia where there is a picture of the Otis Elevator office building in Hamilton represented as Studebaker's Canadian head office. Hemmings has unfortunately picked this up in the past as well as have several other media outlets.

Stu Chapman
        Last edited by Stu Chapman; 07-11-2017, 10:45 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Now lets not be too hard on them. Studebaker abandoned them back in the sixties. Reporters are so underpaid and the news rooms so understaffed you need to count your blessings for any recognition you can get. Just hope they spell your name correctly.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Remember too that Wikipedia is not a media organization – it's a collection of pseudo-facts contributed by folks who think they know something.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
              Remember too that Wikipedia is not a media organization – it's a collection of pseudo-facts contributed by folks who think they know something.
              I agree with you Clark. I'm not media-bashing. I just wish that some elements of the media would verify material that appears on Wikipedia and just check their facts. We used to call it work ethics. Before this thread becomes political, I'll just leave it at that.

Stu Chapman

Comment

+1 on that

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I use Wikipedia a lot and find it pretty accurate most of the time.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Great to see this article is a national news media. It was originally published in the South Bend Tribune almost ten days ago along pictures. Thanks Bob for a second look from a difference source.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                    X